Roadbike with MTB components ?

If using a triple MTB chainset you may find that you have some chain alignment issues resulting in not being able to select the "extreme" gears.
I think it will depend a lot on the rear drop out geometry of your road frame.
He might be ok with only a 7 speed though. I would avoid having to spread the rear drops. Here is one where I spread the drops for a 9 speed. Some of the middle gears are a sluggish change and the adjustment is tricky. IMG_0709.jpeg
IMG_0710.jpeg IMG_0820.jpeg

did you realign the derailleur hanger?
No, I have a homemade tool for that. Thanks, I’ll check it. I didn’t think of that. I did have a bike shop check my drop realignment from my homemade tool with a real tool and that was spot on. It works good enough, but better wold be nice.

I did that but the frame was 1980s touring bike that originally had triple chainrings. I laced up some 29er multi wall mountain bike hoops and used 39 mm tyres. The frame was dimpled to clear theses wide tires. I have had to change spindles in the past to accommodate triples. I would pretty much count on having to change your spindle. I used a mega range 7 speed cassette. Here is my drive train. It works like a charm. That big drop down is annoying but you’re glad you have it with a loaded 35 kilogram bike and you’re near an 160 kilometers and you’re faced with a long cheeky climb. View attachment 790626
I didn’t use bar end shifters, I don’t like them. I used brake lever shifters, which work great. I had to search the net to find ones for a 7 speed. I also connected cyclocross bar top brake levers which I use quite a bit. It’s easier to use the bar top brakes with a load on, no movement to the drop brakes and it’s faster braking when your hands are on top. Lots of bar padding. I like drop bars raised up by an old mountain bike stem to keep me more upright for rough wash out gravel. Drop bars have more hand positions and you need them for long rough rides.View attachment 790627
I’m loading up here for adventure gravel and road riding. I put spare tyres on top of the handle bar bags. You can see them if you enlarge the picture. I sleep out alone, not at campgrounds, but where I get tired or when it gets dark. I sleep in the woods in bear, wolf and mountain lion country so the black and pink frame bag above the frame bottles contains a pistol that I sleep with. It won’t really be an effective big critter killer but the noise will most likely scare them away before I resort to bear spray. Bear spray also effects you as it hangs in the air or can blow back in the wind. The good effective bear spray is real nasty and will choke you up and temporarily blind you. There is no cell service where I ride and there are places where my GPS just shows a yellow background, with no detail showing. No roads, no lakes or streams, just me, the dot, moving through yellow. It feels great when you get back on the map and can figure out where you are. For this heavy rough use I like old touring bicycle frames and forks with straight gauge chrome moly tubing. No problems so far and in heavy traffic, where the shoulder is gravel, I can ride the white line fully loaded. View attachment 790628

Typical camp site and destinations.View attachment 790642View attachment 790643View attachment 790644View attachment 790645
An abandoned lumber town. Nahma, Michigan. People have bought up the homes and restored them. It’s a nice quiet low traffic place that I usually ride through on my adventures.View attachment 790646
You should make a documentary!

No, I have a homemade tool for that. Thanks, I’ll check it. I didn’t think of that. I did have a bike shop check my drop realignment from my homemade tool with a real tool and that was spot on. It works good enough, but better wold be nice.
not much to check, it's a bar with a pin through it, mines home made from a 1" box section and a wheel axle.

Thanks people 🙂

I did try but a few years back but had problems with chain line so didn't persist.

I'll give it a go 👍
I would think as long as you have a bb with the correct spindle length you should be fine. Most of my experience is with touring and hybrid bikes, but mountain bike mechs and cranks were developed from cyclo touring options originally.

Should be no problem - after all for years the Dawes Galaxy was exactly like that with LX/DX drivetrain and bar-end shifters.

Back