Wanted, MTB Frame for Tourer Build. (newbie)

I'm sitting here giggling, I must be driving you mad, sorry.

I have left a meesage on the thread about the orbit.

Is it OK just to go ahead and PM people ?
I really am grateful.

No problems with a PM, allows you to discuss price quietly and and share your personal contact details where no web bot can see them.

I've got a 1987 Raleigh Montage (whole bike), karma'd to me by Oaklec a few years back.

Realisation is that I'm probably not going to have time to finish it off. Would happily pass it on to you for the price of postage. It's 501 tubing, large frame, good condition. Would make a great tourer I reckon......

Drop me a message if you're interested..... :)

Not much there not to like...to be really picky two rack bosses at the top of the seatstays would be nice...but P clips will do fine. Nice classic steel frame, you will have loads of fun! :cool:

If you build the bike up yourself you will understand everything about it and therefore be able to fix any problems you encounter on the road when touring.
Merlin Cycles are doing complete Deore drivetrains for £150 or so at present - they are a doddle to build up and you would be pushed to buy retro bits complete for £100.

Add some secondhand bars, v brakes and saddle to choice. I can help with a secondhand rack for postage if you need it.

Re:

Another consideration might be if you want to fit drop handlebars for a tourer rather than flats.

Some mountain bike frames will have geometry that is a bit long in the top tube leaving you too stretched out for comfort and also it may be difficult to get the bars high enough.

Lots of info here:-

viewtopic.php?t=94356

That orbit looks interesting, it also looks bigger than 22", it might be worth asking how he measured the frame.

Shirlylocks Montage, is also a good bet, particularly as it's for the price of the postage. The thing that put me off that Montage when I karma'd it to Shirlylocks was that it has the brake mounts on the chain stays for a U brake. However, that was me being a complete plonker, having built up an old bmx for my kids, I've realised that U brakes are pretty damn good and that diacomp make some fantastic ones. Looking back, I wish I'd kept that one and karma'd the canti brake one. The U brake version is much more interesting. The only disadvantage with the montage compared to the orbit is the lack of rack mounts, but as posted earlier, that can be overcome with P clips.

I've sent a PM hopefully correctly.
As I said in my PM I'm speechless.

I'm hoping to have this if possible, as mentioned to build & learn from, thanks again to my mentors.

I'm also going to have the Orbit as well hopefully, I like the look of it and I can leave it as is, while losing a few pounds.

Or am I losing the plot already ??

Back