Vitus 979 Build - Revisited

Time for a quick update, without pics for the moment.
Since the last instalment the following has changed.

Bars: The Cinelli 65-40 Criteriums are out and 64-42 Giro D'italia, donated by Borris4, are in. The Giros are far more comfortable when on the tops climbing.

Tyres: Now 700 x 25c Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick. The frame has plenty of clearance for the wider rubber and they work very well indeed on the less well maintained rural roads.

Chainring: The 53t outer ring has been swapped to a 50t to give me more usable gears. 50 x 13 is plenty high enough for me on this bike. The 53T does look better though. ;)

Pedals: Found a more period correct pair of look pedals. Mechanically sound but cosmetically tatty so it'll be another job for the Nitromoors and etch primer.

Outstanding issues: I can't get the Swisstop brake blocks to work silently in the SSC calipers. They squeal embarrassingly. The nuts and washers supplied with the swisstop are fractionally too big for the narrow slots in the calipers and I had to cobble together a mix of fixings from the original SSC shoes to get them to fit. They feel securely mounted and are properly toed in but there must be some flex when under pressure. So I'm trying to source some older style blocks to fit into the original SSC shoes.

Back