Vitus 992 Headset Question

Campagman

Dirt Disciple
Just acquired a Vitus 992 frame/fork/headset in a garage clearance, unfortunately in a 50cm size which is way too small for me, so I'm going to tidy up the frame, polish the lugs and get some new decals then move it on, been an interesting internet trawl finding out its history/origins etc. Its the model/colour that Sean Kelly rode/won MSR 1992.

However, I have a issue with the headset, Vitus/Mavic model with the split top nut and clamp screw and while it looks complete, there is a gap between the fork crown and the headtube.
Almost looks like the lower race needs to go a further 3 mm into the head tube....or the lower seal is incorrect.....or the fork crown race is wrong.
I've reseated the upper and lower headtube race, they seat fine. The two seals are the same and interchangeable and appear to follow the profile of the fork into the headtube. Ive tried all combinations but nothing closes the gap

Any photos I've found on the net look like there is a top and bottom seals are the same thickness, albeit not quite the exact same headset - so that would leave the fork race being wrong?

Any ideas?

Frame IMG_1492.jpeg

Gap at lower race IMG_1585.jpeg

Fine at the top. IMG_1586.jpeg

Lower race IMG_1587.jpeg

IMG_1592.jpeg

All the headset parts top to bottom IMG_1588.jpeg

Lower race and seal, the race sits wholly inside the seal. IMG_1591.jpeg

Hi,
Looks like a Mavic 305 headset but missing a piece I believe, the one that inserts first into the steerer tube in contact with the lower bearings, sorry don't know the name in english.

Although the integrated 992 headset looks like a Mavic 305 series and shares some parts, it isn't exactly the same. Even back in the day getting hold of spare parts was a nightmare to the point that pitted races could effectively write off a frame from a cost/time point of view, so what I suspect you're looking at is one that somebody has tried to salvage by fitting the crown race from a 305 or Stronglight X head set.

Thanks for the replies, bit more digging using the 305 reference.
This one on ebay looks like it has a much deeper lower seal but is different at the top with no external seal between the top race and the clamp nut
I'm also missing the rubber band that covers the clamp arrgt

Maybe have to investigate 3d printing 🤔

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 09.41.08.png

As they're far more common in this day and age I'd take a look at crown races from integrated headsets, you could well find one that fits - your main issue will be finding ones that have a bearing surface rather than a seat for a sealed bearing cartridge.

for me the lower cone is missing - I see lower and upper shell, which has to press into steering tube, then upper head with srew fixing but I can't find the lower cone, which pressed on the crown - it has flat on the crown. For my unterstanding you have the lower shell in the crown instead into the lower opening of the steerer

for me the lower cone is missing - I see lower and upper shell, which has to press into steering tube, then upper head with srew fixing but I can't find the lower cone, which pressed on the crown - it has flat on the crown. For my unterstanding you have the lower shell in the crown instead into the lower opening of the steerer
the fork crown is here, the lower head tube race when in position on the bearings leaves that largest diameter shoulder of this fork crown exposed approx 5 mm vertically

IMG_1594.jpeg

IMG_1592.jpeg

Is it the right fork? The crown race on other 992 I’ve seen is almost set in to the crown /integrated to the fork and doesn’t sit proud like yours.

Latest posts

Back