Vitus 992 Headset Question

Fairly sure its the right fork, comments seem to lead to an incorrect fork crown which is making the lower race too 'high'

Yes, I now believe the 2 deep plastic 'rubber band' like seals are missing

Fairly sure its the right fork, comments seem to lead to an incorrect fork crown which is making the lower race too 'high'

Yes, I now believe the 2 deep plastic 'rubber band' like seals are missing
In the photo of the fork *in the link posted by @mdvineng which appears to be of a bike of someone from here who may be able to advise better @zerogravitas the crown of the actual fork looks machined to integrate the race.

EF3BCE8D-5A61-4B87-BCD5-F51C39DA3395.jpeg

In the photo of your forks there is no recess.

F426E1A2-612E-4B6D-A0B8-19323A7218E9.jpeg

If I remember correctly the none recessed forks used a Mavic made headset with lower roller bearings and not balls.

Found this comment just now.

Magic and Stronglight both had roller bearing headsets in the 90s. The Vitus 992 frame also had a proprietary integrated headset with roller bearings- good luck finding spares.

Thanks Jim, can't tell if mine have that rising profile upto the steerer tube, I'd have the pull the crown race off. Can't do that at the moment.

I'm thinking it probably does but then has a mismatched crown race making it sit slightly higher, thereby open up the gap when installed. I believe these headsets very prone to failing and spares are almost impossible to find.

I have arrived a fix via some 3d printing and recycled lip seal.
3d printing on ebay £6 plus postage, 2 pieces - the band cover for the top nut, very thin, so slightly stretchy, fits nicely
The lower piece being a simple plastic spacer ring 48 od x 42 id and 2.3 mm thick, then centred on the crown race via trimmed down lip seal (likely from a bottom bracket or inside of a free-hub).

Attachments

• IMG_1827.jpeg
    IMG_1827.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1828.jpeg
    IMG_1828.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back