Vintage Trials anyone?

:) Wish I still had it now!
Forks worked well but the weight of them was a bit of a handicap I could have done without due to my limited skills - always middle to lower in my class :(

Respect for competing on it. I was really surprised as mentioned earlier, that no one rode a Greeves at a local vintage event - I guess the difficult-to-mod forks were the limiting factor maybe?

The forks certainly didn't help matters but in the late 90s the playing field was a bit more level e.g I remember being at a Poachers trial and a chap was allowed to ride by the scrutineer but omitted from the results as his bike was not deemed pre-65 eligible. There were always a good turn out (6 or so) Greeves.

As I understand from a friend - who is still riding - the eligibility rules have now really been relaxed and the best bikes are pre-65 in looks only so, sadly, it's become a rich mans game, if you can afford the high tech mods you can have a competitive bike (all you need then is a bit of talent!).

The forks certainly didn't help matters but in the late 90s the playing field was a bit more level e.g I remember being at a Poachers trial and a chap was allowed to ride by the scrutineer but omitted from the results as his bike was not deemed pre-65 eligible. There were always a good turn out (6 or so) Greeves.

As I understand from a friend - who is still riding - the eligibility rules have now really been relaxed and the best bikes are pre-65 in looks only so, sadly, it's become a rich mans game, if you can afford the high tech mods you can have a competitive bike (all you need then is a bit of talent!).
Yeah that’s what I saw recently. Absolutely amazing looking bikes, but nowhere near authentic, original spec’, - modern high performance shock’s and machined alum lightweight bits everywhere. Lovely though!

Last edited:
I started riding trials in 1975 on my brand new TL125 (which I also rode to work every day on (daylight permitting). Sadly I don't have a pic of it but substitute me for Joanna Lumley up thread and that's the model. Reg no KRC 111P, still around somewhere according to DVLA.

In the 90s I got into pre 65 trials (when the rules were still quite strict) and built a 1959 Greeves Scottish - with allowable mods - which I used for a couple of years in Midland Classic, VMCC and Lincolnshire Poachers trials. Enjoyed it immensely!
At least I've still got some pics of the Greeves:-
View attachment 671327View attachment 671328View attachment 671329View attachment 671330View attachment 671332

Looks in good condition. One of the few still affordable bikes on the market at the moment.

Nothing to do with trials but I tried to ride this Toerag on the beach and it sank, I suppose it was a trial but in a different way! A good fun bike on the road though.
View attachment 671334

I bet it was ok on green lanes too. I have had a few Aprilia's, one of my biggest regrets was selling my RX, surprisingly competent off road.

Not my bike but same colours, great bikes.

apriliarx1.jpg

Yeah that’s what I saw recently. Absolutely amazing looking bikes, but nowhere near authentic, original spec’, - modern high performance shock’s and machined alum lightweight bits everywhere. Lovely though!

Maybe classed as consumables? I know most don't allow any mods to the frames.

Nothing to do with trials but I tried to ride this Toerag on the beach and it sank, I suppose it was a trial but in a different way! A good fun bike on the road though.
View attachment 671334
I had a 900 Elefant and an XTZ750 for a while. The XTZ was quick but was awfully unformfortable. The Elefant was comfy and looked sexy but if a sparrow did a moist fart 4 counties away it would start to corrode. I sold the XTZ to a friend who promptly proceeded to throw himself up the road quite badly.

Also had an early BMW R80GS, which would be worth a small fortune today.

Last edited:
Back