USA riding... Nevada...?

OldFatTi

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I may be moving to the States sometime in the next year or so, looking to buy a property so my choice of area is mainly based on house prices and potential for good nearby riding.

Prices in Las Vegas are crazily cheap so that is on the list, but whats the riding like? Any other suggestions from anyone, US resident or otherwise?

Cheers!! :)

Of course everyone knows Bootleg Cyn Mtn bike park. It is just outside of Boulder City.

Then Red Rock Cyn. Check out these photos. http://www.wildnatureimages.com/Red-Roc ... Photos.htm

Winter in Death Valley is awesome too. Not so much mtn biking but lots of road.

Don't forget you are not that far from the sierra Nevadas. Mammoth mtn, Kings Cyn, Yosemite, Sequoia.

Vegas is cheap, but then you have to live there. It's a watered spot in the desert dedicated to taking tourist's money and sending them home again, hence the nickname "Lost Wages". Unless you like riding in the desert the nearest good MTB riding is in the Sierras to the West, or the Rockies to the East, a longish car ride in either direction.

Don't go to Las Vegas if you value your sanity. It may be cheap but there's good reasons for that.

Loads of better places in California, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado if you're into biking.

gerryattrick":7ksqsh8b said:
Don't go to Las Vegas if you value your sanity. It may be cheap but there's good reasons for that.

Loads of better places in California, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado if you're into biking.

+1

Unless you have to go there for work or love to gamble don't do it. By day it's possibly the tackiest place in the States. Try Colorado - it's great for all sports and has proper weather - summers and winters. Great places like Durango, Leadville, Boulder and Grand Junction (see the film American Flyers). And Grand Junction is not too far from Moab. :D :D :D

Come on guys. Vegas is a decent starter home, provided there is a job. Of course Henderson is just down the street. And Boulder is towards Lake Mead.

Vegas is an acquired taste but fascinating too. Actually my friends that moved there went to Henderson.

shovelon":1z56luii said:
Vegas is an acquired taste but fascinating too.

As is beetroot or sado-masochism (or so I've been told) ;) ;)

I know lots of people love Las Vegas, especially as a holiday destination, but I've been there a couple of times (once voluntarily, the other time of necessity), and I've found the phrase "all fur coat and no knickers" describes it perfectly. I agree that there are decent places around there, but still not a patch on other parts of the south-west, especially for biking.

shovelon":ynapfz0w said:
Vegas is an acquired taste but fascinating too.

As is beetroot or sado-masochism (or so I've been told) ;) ;)

I know lots of people love Las Vegas, especially as a holiday destination, but I've been there a couple of times (once voluntarily, the other time of necessity), and I've found the phrase "all fur coat and no knickers" describes it perfectly. I agree that there are decent places around there, but still not a patch on other parts of the south-west, especially for biking.

Probably the best advice will come from American retrobikers though, as they will have more experience of the rides. ( sorry about the double post :oops: :oops: )

Thanks guys!

I don't mind Las Vegas, it's OK, I wouldn't get too disturbed by the tackiness as I would be riding most days! ;)

California would be lovely but it is so much more expensive there from what I have seen, if someone can tell me different I'm all ears!!

Some nice mountain roads would be grand for roadie riding too, not keen on winters, I like year round blue skies and sun, had my fair share of seasons in the UK!! :)

Back