RetroBikers in Southern Nevada, USA area?

Mr. Zero

Senior Retro Guru
Hey all,

As I ponder the future of my collection and "projects vs auction block" it would be nice to potentially discuss these things in person with like-minded RetroBikers. So to the title of my post are there any members here in the Southern Nevada, USA area that would like to have some actual (vs virtual) conversations (and maybe a cold one) about retro mountain bikes? The collection still brings a smile to my face, but after a decade of focusing my energy on other interests I'm a bit on the fence about digging back into it, starting a museum, or even maybe liquidating the whole lot. It would be nice to get some "firsthand" feedback, so to speak. Feedback here is also welcome, but I think we must all appreciate the experience of sitting in the shop, a cold brew in hand, and pondering next steps with friends...

YO
Steven here from TX
As far as feed back……this is the story I got for you
Way back…..25yrs….I was big in mtb scene….always blew my paycheck on
Mtb parts……good parts
Life happens but always kept my bike
Few months ago, younger friend told me he rides trails close to my house
I debated parting out my Ringle bike, and buying new. After seeing new mtb’s AND seeing how rare/expensive the parts I already had, I decided to keep original 89 Schwinn/XT.
Took me 3 months to source period correct parts before I started riding with young guys with 29” tires/full suspension

Not a ride goes by where I’m stopped by ‘mtb guys’ to complement/ask Q’s/thumbs up/just plain jaw drop bc of my old ass ride.
Mind you, I’m running with 3-5 others that have $3-4k bikes…..they are getting used to it!
I made right decision IMO
GL
Hope story helps you

That's good stuff. I'm clear on the now rarity of many of these pieces and the still high cool factor (to me most importantly), but the issue is a collection of ~25 complete bikes, another ~50 frames, and appropriate kit to build it all with a surplus to boot. The space requirement alone is a challenge, much less allocating time to it all.

In short it seems that I may have collected past my capacity to engage with the collection and it seems a shame to effectively horde so many nice bits of kit that might otherwise be actively appreciated by someone else. I'd love to see some or all of it in a museum, but that's probably not the most practical solution. So, establishing a methodology to systematically move much of it along to folks with smaller collections may be the most prudent course. If I do opt to liquidate I would of course hold on to a choice few as I've not lost my passion for the hobby, but simply need a more manageable stable... but what to keep and what to say farewell to...? That is the great dilemma.

Man I feel you

From my brief time here I’m ASTOUNDED how much knowledge and collecting rare bits I have seen/read from members here.

Me, I have a ‘survivor’ mtb
No way I have knowledge/collection that compares with others here(you as well)
(I’m glad to intake the knowledge mind you)
I used ‘found’ knowledge to make my bike safe/rideable

Appears you have the same knowledge/collection as many Big Ballers members here that are in the UK

I’m not familiar with the popularity of interest/retro mtb community here in US.
With that said, we are chatting on a prominently UK based site!

Have you lost all connections with collectors/enthusiasts in NV or general state area?
Not stabbing here, just concerned with your mentioned collection/knowledge
NP to send to PM’s

Hello from southern NV. Henderson to be exact.

I've been out of the MTB/riding scene for over 15 years and am not really knowledgeable about the componentry.

About a year ago I started getting back into riding but a spinal fusion has put a big damper on much riding.
I too have a survivor MTB, a 1997 GT STS DH. I also have a vintage Raleigh Grand Prix.
My "newest" bike would be my 2006 Trek Alpha 3600 I picked up cheap.
At 57, and dealing with some heart/spinal fusion issues, my hardcore riding days are in the past. Leisurely trails will be the norm.

Unfortunately, I don't have much to offer nor the disposable income to spend.
I just wanted to chime in and say hello.

I'd but interested in seeing some pics of the bikes in your collection though.

I've posted these pics here before but here they are again.
thumbnail (8).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

trek 10.jpg

Nice GT!
Nicer (guessing) ‘71 Camaro
I just qualified for my plates on my 25yr old Subaru

Seems everything I cherish is old! 54 here

Attachments

• 687A0937-0F56-454E-AC58-77F18F454A1C.jpeg
    687A0937-0F56-454E-AC58-77F18F454A1C.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 5
Ha ha ha
Believe it or not….I have heard that b4!

I ran out of $$ on my build(new SB yr ago)
Stock turbo/fuel delivery
98 coupe with full 05 Sti swap
Mine not going to blow anyone away
Is my 1st car(one owner)

I know the feeling……2 surgeries C5 then C7. I couldn’t ride even today with flat bars and seat at the appropriate level
Had to get/find risers and lower seat to ride

Ha ha ha
Believe it or not….I have heard that b4!

I ran out of $$ on my build(new SB yr ago)
Stock turbo/fuel delivery
98 coupe with full 05 Sti swap
Mine not going to blow anyone away
Is my 1st car(one owner)

I know the feeling……2 surgeries C5 then C7. I couldn’t ride even today with flat bars and seat at the appropriate level
Had to get/find risers and lower seat to ride
I had C4-C7 fused. ACDF surgery Last Dec., still healing. They say a minimum of 6 months to fully heal.
And because everyone likes pics......

Jeff Spinal Fusion 12-7-2022 (3).jpg Jeff Spinal Fusion 12-7-2022 (7).jpg

Ouch-ness
All I can offer is
If the physical therapist says do 10 reps
Do double
(On principle, I will not press ‘like’ on your post!)
Hope you get out of ‘woods’ soon man

Back