Unknown German Erik or Enik

gounthar

Old School Hero
Here is what I got today from a town not far from Germany.
IMG_20231022_113337.jpg
It is mostly equipped with Shimano 105.
I still have to find the correct date in order to find a nice set of wheels, brake levers and so on...
IMG_20231022_113343.jpg
IMG_20231022_113347.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231022_113347.jpg
    IMG_20231022_113347.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 4
You probably know that Tuller (can't do umlauts!) was (is?) a pro rider. Born in 1938. Like lots of ex-pros he had bikes built with his name on them.
No idea about Erik or Enik.

Thank you! Yes, I had come across information about Günter Tüller. What struck me as somewhat unusual is that typically when a professional rider sells or builds bikes under their name, the focus is on prominently displaying that name on the frame, accompanied by a smaller sticker indicating the bike shop's involvement.

However, in this case, it appears to be the opposite - there's a prominent 'Erik' on the frame, and then a smaller sticker identifying the pro rider. 🤔

The 105 parts are from the 1989 series, so you're looking at parts from around that time for anything period correct. What's wrong with the wheels that means they need replacing?

Nice looking bike - shame about the black spray paint around the top of the seat tube - that could possibly be removed with some care, or are you doing a respray anyway?

I would love to preserve the original 'paint' (or is it enamel?) for the years to come. I'm unsure how to remove the black paint without damaging the blue one.

The wheels themselves don't necessarily need replacing, but they don't match. The rear one lacks a 105 hub and is significantly larger than the front one. I suspect it's made of steel rather than aluminum. If I could find a rear wheel identical to the front one (but where could I find it?), I'd keep the front wheel.

Thank you for dating the 105 group; it will assist me in locating the missing components (such as brake levers, a rear hub, or a wheel). Is it the 1051 group?

Actually, thinking about it more, I would guess the black was sprayed on to cover up some damaged paint (probably from heating the tubes to remove a stuck seat post), so the original paint will be gone anyway, unfortunately.

I think you've got a mix of 1050 and 1051 parts. I would think the Exage levers are also original as they are the same age, just cheaper than the 105 levers.

Lots of people have sets of wheels around, so it might not actually be that hard to find a replacement rear to match the front - depending on what rim the front one has on it, I suppose.

Back