Specialized Allez Epic 1994

JayLC

Dirt Disciple
Go this a couple of weeks ago from eBay. Saw the auction and noticed it was very close by, so put a cheeky offer in. I think it is a 1994? Campagnolo groupset is mostly there. The frame has a few scratches but no cracks etc. The wheels are different with the front being a Campagnolo Omicron rim and hub and the rear is a Matrix Sonic with a Shimano 600 hub.

I think the only bits Im going to be on the lookout for is a chain, brake/gear cable set in black, 1 gear cable adjuster barrel (as the bolt is sheared inside one), some lever shrouds and some white bar tape with bar ends (Specialized NOS would be nice).

It stripped down quite easily apart from the bottom bracket (which was a complete arse).

There isn’t too much groupset information apart from Specialized gave the option of Campagnolo or Shimano. I’m guessing the front wheel is correct but I would like a matching pair. Interested if anyone have any knowledge of these. IMG_1440.jpeg IMG_1439.jpeg IMG_7917.jpeg IMG_7918.jpeg

‘94 catalogue in the archive says Campagnolo Stratos for the group, I’m no good identifying Campag but that’s probably what you’ve got?

IMG_3653.jpeg

‘94 catalogue in the archive says Campagnolo Stratos for the group, I’m no good identifying Campag but that’s probably what you’ve got?

View attachment 787074
Thanks for that. Never had a bike with Campagnolo on it so I can't say either. I'm sure this is a 7 speed. I suppose it could have been swapped out with the wheel though. Bit more investigating needed I think as I would prefer to put it back to 8 speed but don't want shifting problems from the levers.

Nice find, just make sure to do a comprehensive inspection of all lug junctions, as these have a reputation for failing. Having said that, I had a '95 for many years without issues.

I managed to find the gear adjuster barrels and a couple of other bits have arrived. I have changed the wheels as the rear wheel was not correct. It was a Trek wheel with a 7 speed shimano hub/cassette. It should have been an 8 speed Campy Omicron. I found some superb condition Mavic CXP30’s with Campy hubs and a nearly new 8 Speed cassette and chain at the Penkridge Cycle jumble. The only thing I’m unsure of is putting on the same white bar tape as I intend to use it myself and it’s going to annoy me when it gets covered in road stuff. I’m thinking black tape would suit the bike well.

Attachments

• IMG_8039.jpeg
    IMG_8039.jpeg
    603.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8038.jpeg
    IMG_8038.jpeg
    534.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8037.jpeg
    IMG_8037.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 4
I think black tape would look great - you’ve got black cables and black saddle so think that is the logical colour. That said I’m a boring sort of chap when it comes to colours!

Back