Unhappy Customer

Gadro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi guys looking for some views on this

Recently Refurbed a 1996 Pantera, sourced a lot of NOS parts for it including full STX-RC groupset.

The original bike was a totally original used, grimy, dirty and unloved bike. Underneath the crap I knew was a good bike hiding. I spent hours on the bike polishing with Autosol fitting the the new parts, etc. The donor frame was in my opinion in really good condition, minor driveside chainsuck and some very minor pitting to the top tube, very small ding to top tube but only noticeable on very close inspection. There was no cracks, splits, etc.

I wasn't using it and the wife was moaning that I had too many bikes taking up space, so I decided to sell it. I stuck it on eBay and a buyer put a last minute bid in for £200 and won it.

I took a bit of a hit on the finances but that's the risk of an auction.

Now after he bought it the buyer bombarded me with messages asking for advice on fork upgrades and the like and I offered him my advice. He wanted to put modern Rockshox's on.:( The buyer stated that he wanted to restore his own Pantera but didn't have the time or know how to do so. I sent him the link to my build on here

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

The refurb probably cost in the region of £400- £450

The bike sold for £200 so I took a hit and expected to do so.

I posted the bike in two days went through the hassle of sourcing a box from Halfords (10 mile drive!!) Took me about two hours to pack and I had to stay in at home for a whole day waiting for Parcelforce to collect!! (B*stards :x )

The buyer has now messaged me the following

"........I received the bike yesterday morning - great packaging, all intact thank you. I spent yesterday evening assembling it, setting the brakes/gears etc and it looks incredible. However, as I've been getting close to it, I've noticed a serious issue with the frame. There's areas of it, particularly around the down tube where the aluminium is incredibly thin. .......I took it down to my local bike shop and they agreed - great groupset/components, but don't take it out on the trails - it'll be liable to flex and any tumbles and it'll most likely wreck the frame"

Basically the Buyer now wants a full refund plus p&p to return it to me. I'm going to lose my Final Value Fee, Listing Fee's, Postage costs and to top it off in my eBay advert I recommended viewing and collection. Which the next highest bidder wanted to do !!

Now I've bought and sold a lot of things on the Bay and got 100% positive. I had a good look at this bike when I built it. It's a 13 year old bike it's not perfect but the frame in my opinion is bloody damn good and everything else is NEW

I offered the Buyer a partial refund of £100 so he'd be getting the bike for only £130!! Telling him that if he was still set on the rebuild strip my bike and get another frame. The parts alone would cost him far more than the £200 he paid. I'm going to be out of pocket but you win some, you lose some

Nope wants a full refund. So I told him I would minus the Cost incurred for me to list, post and pack.

I was shocked when he said the metal was 'thin' and that he had taken it to his LBS to get it checked out. I feel now as if I've ripped the guy off!
I've asked the buyer to provide me with details of his LBS and the name of the person who examined the bike, I really want to speak to him or her.

Do you think I'm being unreasonable with my offers of a solution? Would you challenge a Dispute?

I've since looked at his profile on the Bay and he now appears to be buying some modern low end bike parts. Think his short lived love affair with old bikes has ended. He ends his message to me

"..can't use it for the purpose I bought it"

I hope he wasn't intending on taking a 13 year old Pantera on serious trails cos I bloody wouldn't :D

Oh well I didn't really want to sell it in the first place ;) Wife will be :(

Move your money out of Paypal...now! ;)
Sounds like he is being a bit of a twit. Can you show the Ebay advert?
Trouble is Ebay always supports the buyer, no matter what, it seems.
You sound like you have already been over-generous.
Hope it works out

Yep, I want a name and telephone number before I decide to do anything now.

Polished it with Autsol by hand and a cloth - not an Angle Grinder!!

I have had some thinks like that happen ebay before, it ended up that the person who bought bits of me, was getting crap from his partner for buying it. And thats why they come up with cock and ball story about it being faulty. But its they word against yours. I found out the other bits via another member on ebay.

Here's the Ad, copy and pasted

This bike was purchased as a project by myself as I owned one 14 years ago and simply wanted to ride one again

The components are as follows

GT Aluminium Triple Triangle Frame 18" 7000 Series Double Butted
Brand New GT Pantera Decals sourced from the USA and Original Specification and Colour

Original Specification Shimano STX-RC Groupset which incorporates

New Old Stock Shimano STX-RC Brake/ Shifters 21 speed, Sourced from USA
New Old Stock Shimano STX-RC Crankset and Bottom Bracket Sourced from USA
Mint Condition Shimano STX-RC Rear Derailleur
New Old Stock Shimano STX Front Derailleur
New Old Stock Shimano STX-RC Cantilever Brakes
7 speed Shimano cassette
Brand New Shimano Gear and Brake Cabling all round
Shimano Front and Rear Quick Release Skewers

Rockshock Indy C Suspension Forks. Really good condition and great match for the Bike

Brand New WTB SST2K Saddle

Brand New Raceface Seatpost
Brand New Wellgo pedals with refurbished GT Branded Toe Straps- Good if you're unsure of SPD's

Brand New Easton Flat Handlebars
Brand New Kore Stem
Brand New GT Handlebar Grips

Brand New Cane Creek S3 Headset and new Star Fangled Nut fitted
Quick Release Seatpost Clamp

Mavic 26" Wheelset Rim Brake specific with Shimano Hubs. Good condition, these wheels haven't seen much use. Fitted with Tioga tyres in excellent condition

NO CHAIN FITTED (Essential but nasty oily things which cause scratches!!) AND GEARING WILL NEED TWEAKING. JUST A SIMPLE TURNING OF THE HIGH AND LOW DERAILLEUR SCREWS AND AWAY YOU GO.

Why am I selling it? Simply got far too many bikes and need to free up some space. I hope that it goes to someone with the same passion as myself.

Took me ages in sourcing the New Old Stock items and these are becoming increasingly rare. For those not in the know New Old Stock or NOS means a Brand New item which has simply been gathering dust in a box somewhere. The frame is in good condition, I spent hours polishing it with Autosol and it is really shiny. Going to look great on those summer days ahead. 90% of the bike is fitted with brand new parts. Other parts are in good or excellent condition. I've tried to stay as faithful to the original Pantera spec as possible. Could easily have stuck Deore parts all over it. Would have been far cheaper but wouldn't have looked right.

IF YOU'RE INTO RETRO BIKING THIS MAY BE THE ONE FOR YOU. COST ME ABOUT £450 TO PUT TOGETHER IN THIS CONDITION. THERE IS A RESERVE ON THE BIKE BUT IT IS NOWHERE NEAR THIS FIGURE. NOT EVEN HALF. I JUST DON'T WANT IT GOING FOR PEANUTS. IF IT DON'T SELL I'LL JUST PACK IT UP AND STICK IT IN THE ATTIC, MIGHT BE FUN RIDING IT IN ABOUT 10 YEARS TIME. RARE IN THIS CONDITION AND A REAL COLLECTORS ITEM. IF RETRO IS NOT YOUR THING AND YOU'RE JUST LOOKING FOR A BARGAIN OF AN OLDER BIKE THIS IS NOT THE BIKE FOR YOU, GO FOR A 5 YEAR OLD AGGRESSOR OR AVALANCHE

YOU CAN PROBABLY TELL THAT THIS IS A RELUCTANT SALE. BUT I'M UNDER STRICT INSTRUCTION FROM 'ER INDOORS THAT ONE HAS GOT TO GO, SO THIS IS IT !!

I will post this bike but have concerns that it may get damaged in transit. WOULD REALLY PREFER COLLECTION. The postage cost reflects packaging costs and time. I haven't got a box yet so you'll have to bear with me as I source one from my LBS or Halfords. If the buyer wants more peace of mind I will insure the postage to the value of the sold price. This may incur an additional cost, so please contact me before bidding. I will also have to partly dismantle the bike for postage but real easy to put back together.

If anyone has any other questions, wants additional photo's or to view the bike then either message me or email me at gadromail@googlemail.com

I've got 100% Feedback and want to keep it that way

Important Stuff

Payment by PayPal OR Cash on Collection

Postage by PARCELFORCE collection also available

If postage required I will dispatch usually within 5 days of receiving payment

If there is a delay in posting (I may be stuck in work) I will keep you updated and send a Parcelforce Tracking Number once dispatched.

EBayers with less than 5 feedbacks please contact me before bidding or I may cancel your bids

UK Mainland Delivery only (International delivery may be possible please contact me before bidding)

buyer is a tool

talking out of his arse , id tell him to suck my c@ck unless he can provide a detailed written diagnosis from said shop ( he wouldnt have gone to a reputable shop )

And here's the pics used

Attachments

• Complete 1.JPG
    Complete 1.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,512
  • Complete 3.JPG
    Complete 3.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,512
Back