Ultimate Birthday! (YETI)

Re:

i was hoping to get some riding in after work today, but the sun and heat is just too much in an urban concrete/asphalt setting. we've had on and off again heat waves for the past few weeks. i should have went out yesterday when it wasn't nearly as hot. so instead i decided to lurk in my basement where it's cool and shaded to do some wrenching.

removed the brown YST headset and mounted the CK no logo in it's place. wanted to also install a weight reduced quill wedge in place of the solid piece one, but found that the wedge takes a fine thread bolt, and the existing Tioga branded bolt is course threaded. :?

Attachments

• DSC03328.JPG
    DSC03328.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 797
  • DSC03326.JPG
    DSC03326.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 797
Re: Ultimate Birthday!

yes, eventually i'd like to do that, but finding one is the issue. most quill bolts are course threaded. i'm not sure who offers the fine thread ones except for the Zicral ones used on Sycnros stems. i'm assuming this wedge is a Syncros one, which would make sense. i guess i can pillage a bolt off a spare stem for now and bide my time sourcing a replacement.

Haven't had much spare time given current circumstances the past couple month. But had the evening yest so I dedicated it to finishing up the remake on the Ultimate so I can finally have a chance of riding it.

Bike came with both tyres being front ones. Luck would have it, a very good friend had a NOS rear magic tyre that he graciously was willing to offer to me!!! Very happy with that. Rear wheel is relatively dished to the centre now, though not quite. Will need to bring it in to a shop to have it fine tuned as spoke tension seems off and I'm not experienced enough to address it properly. Rear hub also will probably need to serviced with the bearing cartridges replaced as it runs quite noisy/rough sounding. Finished off the wheelset with a pair of Ringle Twist-Cam lever. Tried to do the same with the seat collar, but I can't seem to get the lever to easily apply enough force to the collar clamp. :? So I stuck to the original bolt configuration.

Scored a nice used CK no logo headset. Put on a black middle Shimano to replace the odd silver one to match the inner/outer rings, and mounted correctly as they weren't positioned in the proper rotation on the crank spyder. :? XT bear traps for pedals, replacing a set of Crupi Square BMX style pedals with Ti spindles. Probably will sell the Crupi to make back some money.

NOS XT seatpost and brake levers, though I managed to scuff the one lever already when I didn't set the thumb shifter properly in place to the levers and the thumb arm scraped a nice scratch onto the lever body when I was heavy handed in testing the shifting on the rear. :roll: It's relatively hidden between the lever and thumb shifter so I'm not too upset. I wasn't in search of NOS parts, but it just ended up with a few. There's plenty of patina on the bike anyway but I did take a sharpie to it so it wasn't as noticeable.

Lastly, used set XT canti brakes, older thick XT cable outer/inners, and very PRICEY set of Yeti Speed grips. :shock:

Attachments

• DSC03413.JPG
    DSC03413.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 662
  • DSC03412.JPG
    DSC03412.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 662
  • DSC03411.JPG
    DSC03411.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 662
  • DSC03407.JPG
    DSC03407.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 662
  • DSC03406.JPG
    DSC03406.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 662
  • DSC03419.JPG
    DSC03419.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 661
  • DSC03417.JPG
    DSC03417.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 660
  • DSC03404.JPG
    DSC03404.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 661
more…

Attachments

• DSC03409.JPG
    DSC03409.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC03418.JPG
    DSC03418.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC03410.JPG
    DSC03410.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC03415.JPG
    DSC03415.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC03414.JPG
    DSC03414.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 659
thanx, it was already love at first sight. the make-over just made her a tad more special in my eyes! :D

no expected improvements for the next while. trying to ride it out to the new year realistically. but hoping to at least get the chance to throw some dirt on this girl this season. :(

where's the Cirrus at???

RockiMtn":vr2y2twl said:
thanx, it was already love at first sight. the make-over just made her a tad more special in my eyes! :D

no expected improvements for the next while. trying to ride it out to the new year realistically. but hoping to at least get the chance to throw some dirt on this girl this season. :(

where's the Cirrus at???

Still waiting on the repair. It's been a busy summer so hopefully with fall around the corner my father in law can fit it in. In between a busy work schedule and family life I have fit in a restoration of a semi retro 2001 Rocky Mountain rm6 to pass the time :)

Really nice job Frank. Nice to see one that I could comfortably ride :)

Back