UK medicine ?

silverclaws

Senior Retro Guru
Now seeing as I tend to research a lot, mostly medical stuff, I search for stuff on the web pertaining to what I am interested in and something has come to my attention, anything worthwhile honest and useful are websites and pages originating in America and very very rarely Britain.

For example I have just searched for some basic information on a very common medical complaint and where was all the information, yep, America, but hold I found some information issuing out of the UK so I checked it and found it did not go into the detail the American information did and even said on the web page make an appointment to see your GP.

So what is this, is the medical profession so far wedged up it's own ass with it's own self importance that it seeks to deny potential customers the right to research their own ailment ?

Is it Britain is still ; Doctors knows best

and is it true doctors hate patients researching on the internet about their own ailment ?

Then there is the condescending attitude some display, one instance was i had identified a problem, researched it so I knew what was going on in the area, the function etc, I researched the correct terminology and went to see my GP and told him the problem and you know what, he replied in what I call 'baby speak', no correct terminology but he was going on about tummies, tummies ffs, what did these people learn at medical school how to talk down to adults ?

Or s it likely the GP's is so far out of med school they have forgotten the correct terminology ?

It is true I don't have a great deal of respect for GP's and that through experience but of respect, with me, it is earned, No title gets automatic respect from me, title bearers have to prove themselves before I will give them what they think they should have.

But it is my impression healthcare in the UK, medical knowledge, UK medics want to keep it all to themselves and that indicated by how little comes out of the UK in terms of medical information and the NHS website where most web links originate from is scant to say the least, condescending and always says book an appointment to see your GP.

Now it is I don't bother the medics with trivial stuff, only with what matters and that because I do have the intelligence to find out if something is a problem or not and besides ten days to get an appointment just to be told it is nothing to worry about really is a waste of everyone's time.

I know there are medical people on these forums and would be interested if they would be so kind to comment as it is my thinking could be somewhat off.

Ah it just had to be didn't it, business again plain old money making at the heart of it, the very thing that is bringing this country down, when will we learn this attitude will destroy us.

But how is it America is so free with information, don't they have restrictions on what information is available, because it sure doesn't look like it given what is available from there. Mind other people like me, with whom I have chatted have said forget the UK if it is information one wants, it is stuck up it's own ass.

And with that of course the world will ignore Britain in time, we will seal our own coffins because we seek money in everything.

And further to the mention of academics, that is only the qualified may access, not anyone else.

It's almost like a class system we still have in place, as from what backgrounds do academics often hail.

i am finding that young new doctors seem to have the time to chat and explain older ones less or just watch the clock over your shoulder.

I used to be a clinical academic (PhD and all that but not a medic)...our house had an outside toilet, dad was unemployed for a lot of his life and to actually have things I had to have a job outside school....... in a bike shop.

Some of us are fairly down to earth LOL

Shaun

It is the GP where I am currently registered my GP whom I grate up against is one of the principals and he is always on holiday or taking time off, I much prefer the younger members and one who has pictures of ocelots all over her wall, I saw that and thought this person is my kind of nut, so in future, am asking for her. Aside from that locums are always good doctors, they tend not care about practice funding and organise what is needed not what can be afforded,

But perhaps an unwarranted suspicion but in GP practices, the allocation of funding and where do single males sit in that, because I was always was told by my GP when he was not on holiday there was not the funding for what I needed, at the time talk therapy alongside the mind bending chemical lobotomy in accordance with NHS guidelines. You know I had three years without an erection, that stuff killed libido and I know I have to go back there again the anxiety is causing too many problems, but off the things I cycle way too low these days and people around me are getting scared.

The GP I had before became mayor he was that self important and still everyone hated him, he used to turn up in his badge of office the anker.

If you already know what ailments you have, why do you need the doctor?
If you can self diagnose via tinternet, I'm sure you're well capable of healing yourself far better than these incompetent quacks you keep meeting. Everything you need is in your laptop, drugs, counselling, everything!

suburbanreuben":3mfiw6n9 said:
If you can self diagnose via tinternet, I'm sure you're well capable of healing yourself far better than these incompetent quacks you keep meeting. Everything you need is in your laptop, drugs, counselling, everything!
Meds?

Besides, I'm sure Silverclaws isn't the only person who's experienced indifference, at times, from GPs or others within the NHS - even if some would just like to point and subtly deride him whenever the opportuinity presents.

Neil":2vt9fpek said:
who's experienced indifference, at times, from GPs or others within the NHS - .

far to much. Oddly not when gone private.

Neil":1v8qblbv said:
suburbanreuben":1v8qblbv said:
Meds?

Besides, I'm sure Silverclaws isn't the only person who's experienced indifference, at times, from GPs or others within the NHS - even if some would just like to point and subtly deride him whenever the opportuinity presents.

plenty of dodgy sites to sell you the meds, pharmacies from canada, pakistan and mexico will all sell you pretty much anything you need delivered to your door.

Personally i wouldn't recommend self medicating, i mean i'm sure its doable i just wouldn't trust myself.

Back