Tubeless Gravel / CX Tyres - Where are they?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm actually not jumping on a band wagon here, as my frame was made about 15 years ago as a CX frame, but as I don't race cx and as the frame now wears fancy paint I want to make it a bit more versatile.

Plus, haven't we all been riding gravel / trails for years.

Anyway, I am building the frame modern and light, going 1 X10 and tubeless with a set of HUNT wheels, and here my problem starts.

Looking at manufacturers web sites does not help, may of them talk about tubeless, but then don't mention it on the tyre details, WTB, and Scwalbe actually seem to list a couple of tyres, but the choices seem pretty slim.

I recon 40mm is about maximum width the forks will take, so 32 to 38c would be best.

Any suggestions of tyres you've used, even if they are 29'er tyres that could be pressed into service.

Re:

I've been doing a lot of googling and found some great web sites in America with countless suggestions of excellent tyres... none of which are available in the UK.

WTB Riddler 37, Maxxis Rambler 40 and Clements MSO 36 are all tubeless and all recommended.

In the UK it looks like Schwalbe G-One allround and G-One speed, Panaracer Gravel King in various sizes, but SK 32, 35 and 40, WTB Boss 35 or Nano 40 are the only choices I can find..... unless you know different.

I'm planning on ordering the Panaracer SK40's. At £30 each, they have got to be worth a try.

Depending on if you run cx pressures or not, any tyre will go tubeless pretty much.

We've got some vittoria/conti/schwalbe that we've run for two or three years with no issues. But we never run them above about 30psi. Why would you want to ;)

Oh. MSO and Riddler are available in Europe now. Supply is a bit patchy. But I've seen both (actually touched them......)

Re:

We tried tubeless with a few mtb tyres a couple of year ago, with varying degrees of success and failure. Since then I've done a few 29'ers and a 26 with tubeless specific tyres and it has been stress free simplicity by comparison.

I'll be experimenting with pressures depending on the terrain, as this will be a road / offroad bike.

I think thats just a practice/prep issue.

For the last 5 or 6 years i've got a 100% success rate with tubeless. Including with standard tyres on standard rims.

Re:

Chucking my hat in the ring and saying WTB Cross Boss.

I've had a set of these on my (shudder) Gravel bike for the last year, rand them tubeless without issue and they have done everything I expected of them from a bit of mountain biking to 90+ mile road rides. Amazingly had no issues keeping up with the fast roadie club on a sat morning and could happily disappear down unknown bridleways at will.

here's a strava ride with pictures of them on my bike:

https://www.strava.com/activities/548118119

and

https://www.strava.com/activities/643909807

and

https://www.strava.com/activities/628492135

mattr":33xe88q5 said:
I think thats just a practice/prep issue.

I'd agree with that. I tend to spend time making sure the tape is well seated and use a tube to seat one side of the tyres.

That has worked well for me.... so far.

Back