Trying to know exactly which Colnago frame it is...

Just a quick update on this frame since I have had a few more Colnagos passing through hands over the past couple years and have needed to properly identify them before moving them along to others and saving them from the horrible affliction that is "Colnago Confusion" or the "Ernesto Enigma". Of course, variations within the model year, and inaccurate images in catalogs further complicate the identification of Colnago models and years. Note: Colnago catalogs DO NOT always accurately depict their product for a specific year; primarily in their photos due to the use of stock photography used for multiple catalogs. There are examples in some catalogs where Tange tubing is specified in the description, but the photo shows a Columbus decal on the frame. Everything needs to be taken with a "grain of salt" concerning identification of models during this time period when Colnago was, seeningly, changing features every 5 minutes and not accurately documenting them. I doubt Ernesto himself would be able to clear up the confusion.

There are some model and year identifiers that help. This is why good photos are important, and any anecdotal knowledge from present and past owners of a frame concerning its history is important (e.g. year purchased, custom build, etc.).
Main identifying details of above frame:
-2 groove top tube (found on "Profil" and "Nuovo Mexico" models)
-2 groove down tube (found on "Profil" and early "Nuovo Mexico" models; later 4 crimp downtube on "N. Mexico")
-grooved chainstays, but not indented at wheel or chainring areas (original "Super" models had those indents, "Mexico" models did not)
-fluted seat stay caps
-full slope fork crown
-fork crown pantograph
-"COLNAGO" stamped chainstay
-distinct "club" cut-out on BB shell
-brake bridge pantograph
This frame, as far as I can tell, is EITHER a "Profil" (such as used by Saronni for his '82 World Championship) or a first generation "Nuovo Mexico Profil". The year range would be '83/'84 ; '85 at the latest due to change of seat stay caps becoming flat and BB shell cut-out having "BREV. COLNAGO" stamped into it. I do not know if Colnago was producing "Profil" frames in '81 for public comsumption in the '82 model year; Sarronni's Semptember '82 World Champ. victory certainly would have led to regular production thereafter. His frame is stated as being a "Super" frame (SL tubing) and not a "Profil" frame (SL Record tubing per '85 cat.) even while having grooves in top and down tubes like "Profil".
I am leaning towards an '83 "Nuovo Mexico" based on lack of chainstay indents (aside fron grooves) and on the fully sloped fork crown (the circa '83 catalog shows a "Mexico" with full a slope and a "standard" (no "grooves" on TT/DT) "Super" with a semi-sloped crown. Hard to use the crown panto as it seems there was a mix of styles employed during this time period, but '85 catalog seems to show only "club" logo on top and "COLNAGO" on the side of the crown. I believe the '85 models had flat seat stay caps as opposed to fluted caps (again poor '85 catalog image); my '86 N.Mexico has flat caps. The bottom bracket shell cut-out design was employed during those years (earlier design was odd shaped "club" hole, my '86 N.Mexico has "BREV. COLNAGO" stamped above the cut-out). Both frames employed 2 "crimps/grooves" on the top and down tubes (2nd gen. N. Mexico has 4 "crimps/grooves" on the down tube as found on my '86). Both frames employed "crimps/grooves" on the chainstays per Colnago catalog circa '83. The main difference would have been the tubing used used: Super had Columbus "SL" butted tubes, Mexico had Columbus "Record" straight gauge tubes. The easiest way to check this is using a caliper at the head tube with fork removed; "SL" head tube is 1.0mm thick, "Record" head tube is 0 8mm thick (add a little for paint). Geometry is supposedly identical so no help there. This measurement, in my opinion, is the most definitive method to determine whether a bike of that time frame (mid '80s and earlier) is a Mexico/N.Mexico regardless of other features.; except weighing 2 identically sized frames where a Mexico should be the lighter of the two between the Super and Mexico models.
I know earlier ('70s, very early '80s) Mexicos had the different decal on the seat tube relating to the Mexico hour record, not sure about later models as my '86 N. Mexico does not have that detail.

Last edited:
From what I can remember, my '84 Mexico had a semi-sloping crown, 2 crimps in both the top and down tubes, flat 'CONLAGO' seat stay caps and 'COLNAGO' stamped in both chain stays which weren't crimped on the insides. The BB shell had a club shaped cut out, tubular cable guides and 'BREV COLNAGO'. The fork crown had club and 'COLNAGO' engravings. It also had a 'MEXICO' decal on the left chain stay.

From what I can remember, my '84 Mexico had a semi-sloping crown, 2 crimps in both the top and down tubes, flat 'CONLAGO' seat stay caps and 'COLNAGO' stamped in both chain stays which weren't crimped on the insides. The BB shell had a club shaped cut out, tubular cable guides and 'BREV COLNAGO'. The fork crown had club and 'COLNAGO' engravings. It also had a 'MEXICO' decal on the left chain stay.
Excellent information! If that was an '84 model year (frame possibly made in '83 if bought early in '84 or something that hung on the shop rack for a bit) then it would be the earliest that I have heard of the BB shell with "BREV. COLNAGO" stamp. All other features described sound proper for a Mexico of that era. There is also a chance if it was bought late in '84 that it was a frame built for the '85 model year since new changes start getting implemented well before the new model year actually turns on the calendar. Just more reasons why it is so difficult to be accurate without an actual date code on a frame.
Thank you again!

Last edited:
Back