Trek OCLV - Modern (sorry) - UPDATED 11/01/14

Re: Trek OCLV - Modern (sorry)

ok -quick update.

I ended up removing the decals using a hairdryer, patience and swearing. Because these were debossed it meant that the whole frame had to be sanded back VERY carefully. Unfortunately removing the decals took some of the original laquer with them -the carbon laquer that is. This necessitated using some very fine car body filler on these areas, as well as on the other little chips etc on the frame, and then using various grades of wet and dry from 80-1200 grit. After 3 passes of filling and sanding the frame was good enough to go off and be painted.

The painting was done by Revolution Motorcycles in Burghfield (Reading). I chose them because they had some good reviews and Graham has had experience of painting carbon frames in the past. I subsequently delivered the frame, along with a new set of decals from Velocals to him at the end of November. I had it in my mind that I wanted the frame a dark silver colour, so looking through his books I chose a Honda paint colour that I thought would look nice and deep once on the frame.

I finally received a call from Graham on Thursday to say that the frame was ready. He explained that he had a bit of a nightmare with the decals as the ones for the 3 main tubes are full wraps, and the decals were both very thin and extremely adhesive. This meant there was little room for error and they were not easy to move around once they had touched the frame. To be honest, the application of the transfers is better than they came out of the factory - you cannot see the join on the underside of the downtube at all it is so good. The paintwork is flawless and the colour looks fantastic on the OCLV frame.

I gathered a few parts that I need in the weeks that the frame has been away - Dura-Ace STI's and front meach, Ultegra rear mech and brakes. The STI's and rear mech had suffered from lots of wear to the laquer as is common on the 9-spd stuff so these had a going over with wet'n'dry and rubbing compound to bring them back up to par.

The bike is almost built, and once done I will be posting pictures.....

Re: Trek OCLV - Modern (sorry) - PICS ADDED

Pics added

Attachments

• SAM_0032.JPG
    SAM_0032.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 522
  • SAM_0028.JPG
    SAM_0028.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 520
  • SAM_0029.JPG
    SAM_0029.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 520
  • SAM_0023.JPG
    SAM_0023.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 520
  • SAM_0023.JPG
    SAM_0023.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 520
  • SAM_0026.JPG
    SAM_0026.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 520
Well done Ade ,

Looks like the paint shop did a really good job on that :cool: Were they expensive ?
BTW have you got 2 rolls of bar tape on :LOL: looks really thick , or is it me :facepalm:
Mike

Hi

The paint shop did indeed do a very good job. The price was £130 + VAT. I did 95% of the prep work so the cost was for the fine finishing, a build primer, top coats, decal application (which took a while), laquer and baking. Can highly recommended them and intend to use them for my 2300 as well.

The bar tape is standard SRAM stuff (even though I run Shimano) but there is 2x layers of electrical tape underneath to secure the Flightdeck cables and brake cables individually. I have big hands so find a slightly thicker bar more comfortable.

Just built up in time for winter training then :LOL:

FWIW I've got shovels on the end of my arms too ! :roll:

Enjoy the lightness mate ;)

Mike

these are iconic. trek had solved the problem of a strong non lugged joints. looks to be loads of carbon bandages wrapped around. perhaps they aquired the services of some nurses from a local fracture clinic!and got some beers in ?
what is the weight f+f of this beast please ?

I never weighed it! The bike is now dismantled and all the parts (except the frameset at present) are up for sale here as the bike is just a tad too small for me. I also have a 57cm Klein that I will now keep as my only road bike.

congratulations klein quantams are well sort after i believe they did a two tone paint job once, any chance a picture !

Back