Match for the weird pewter / bronze for Retro Kona front ends.

enigma

Retro Guru
So can anyone throw me a lead? Ive been googling and found a few possibilities in the pre mix can line.
I have a frame and forks on the way, and I am going something a little different on the main frame colour, thats no issue..
I am minded currently as its a Blue - Kona Lava dome to use the special blue ive got in mind on the main frame, alongside og decals, but paint the fronts end forks and stem something close to the colour of the time.
I have a stem here that is basically brand new, I could get it matched but thats a ball ache and expensive.
I could use paint or spray paint as I will wet paint it myself with proper laquer through a suitable mini hvlp gun.
Just wondered if any retro heroes had a lead.. if not I will figure it the hard way and share my findings!
Thankyou Enigma.

I know you've said that you've got a few ideas, and I am not an expert as I've not got the P2's in front of me, but Audi Dakota Grey looks pretty close to me for this if it's the version of the fork I'm thinking of. .

I know you've said that you've got a few ideas, and I am not an expert as I've not got the P2's in front of me, but Audi Dakota Grey looks pretty close to me for this if it's the version of the fork I'm thinking of. .
The forks are more of mettalic bronze, the stem is more silver, the stem is brand new, the forks are tatty, so if that is a close match spraying the forks in this may be an answer, will go check this out.. thankyou.

Depending on how quickly you want to do this I could probably do you a spray out card so you can see how close it is? I picked up a can for some 888 lowers (I previously refinished a set of Subaru wheels in it using P4U aerosols), although it's only Halfords this time so nothing fancy, but I've got it sat at home and a bunch of blank test cards.

Depending on how quickly you want to do this I could probably do you a spray out card so you can see how close it is? I picked up a can for some 888 lowers (I previously refinished a set of Subaru wheels in it using P4U aerosols), although it's only Halfords this time so nothing fancy, but I've got it sat at home and a bunch of blank test cards.
Thankyou very kind, but I’ve a wonderful local panel shop, and they had a little tin of holts which I sprayed on some water pipe to compare with std light grey undercoat.
The colour is not anything like either, and I think I am leaning towards the lighter more silver side… I am going to get an aftermarket, shorter stem I think, so the perfect like new stem won’t be sprayed, and the forks can be slightly off standard… the frame is a metallic slighter lighter blue instead of the og dark blue of lava domes of the year… but maybe useful comparison though with white primer maybe a little lighter, but still not any sort of match to what I have…

Attachments

• E7EDDBD6-45E7-46F8-9BAB-52F3AD1265C0.jpeg
    E7EDDBD6-45E7-46F8-9BAB-52F3AD1265C0.jpeg
    572.2 KB · Views: 10
That's very different! And while it's probably just lighting, I think it's perhaps a little darker than the Halfords blend I've used recently. That said, we're talking fractionally rather than the gulf you're showing in that pic. For the fork Fiat Marrone Volcanico might be close (oh how I miss the days of paint shops having a book of spray out cards pre-done to get you into the ballpark), I've used that to refurb Volk wheels before and having done a little photoshop comparison of two pics it looks close (but could well be no cigar). For the lighter stem, another worth looking at would be Subaru Crystal Grey which has a slight bronze/golden hue to it although that said it's quite a heavy pearl so can change a lot depending on the light. Another that might be in the ballpark is Subaru Sandstone Metallic. All just suggestions based on my experience of spraying similar colours and perhaps totally unusable for you, but if it helps then great! Is the paint shop not able to stick their photo spectrometer onto the stem (or forks) to help? With it not being a flat surface it might not be perfect but it'd be close enough if you're going to spray a different stem and fork so they match anyway.

That's very different! And while it's probably just lighting, I think it's perhaps a little darker than the Halfords blend I've used recently. That said, we're talking fractionally rather than the gulf you're showing in that pic. For the fork Fiat Marrone Volcanico might be close (oh how I miss the days of paint shops having a book of spray out cards pre-done to get you into the ballpark), I've used that to refurb Volk wheels before and having done a little photoshop comparison of two pics it looks close (but could well be no cigar). For the lighter stem, another worth looking at would be Subaru Crystal Grey which has a slight bronze/golden hue to it although that said it's quite a heavy pearl so can change a lot depending on the light. Another that might be in the ballpark is Subaru Sandstone Metallic. All just suggestions based on my experience of spraying similar colours and perhaps totally unusable for you, but if it helps then great! Is the paint shop not able to stick their photo spectrometer onto the stem (or forks) to help? With it not being a flat surface it might not be perfect but it'd be close enough if you're going to spray a different stem and fork so they match anyway.
Thankyou, I will experiment when I find the right stem, I will look into these colours, as a starting point. I don’t think I will face the expense of matched paint as my nearest is miles away

Latest posts

Back