tragic crash at air show

Re: Re:

RubberLegs":x6cf2ffl said:
correction, just listening to a CAA bod on Radio 4, he just said ' for the forseeable future no high energy manouervers for ALL vintage aircraft at airshows over land

02gf74":x6cf2ffl said:
... now we sit back and watch the knee jerk reactions to ban anything remotely risky.

4.7 people die on uk roads EACH DAY. Yet nobody is banning road transport.

Driving quickly, performing stunts and other unnecessary high energy manoeuvres on public roads is banned!!!

now we sit back and watch the knee jerk reactions to ban anything remotely risky.

4.7 people die on uk roads EACH DAY. Yet nobody is banning road transport.

I hate this blatant misuse of statistics. Millions upon millions of car journeys are taken in the UK every single day. Dozens of airshows take place each year.
The statistics you are clinging to pale into the rediculous when used in comparison.

Nobody is suggesting we ban public transport, nor air show events (not that i've spotted anyway). Fortunes are rightly spent in attempting to continually improve safety for road users. It's fine to also consider attempting to improve safety factors in other activities too.

The question in my mind is more about events like these affecting completely unrelated individuals. Like those killed going about their daily business when a jet engined airplane landed on their heads whilst attempting to pull tricks for a crowd.

I was a spectator on Saturday so I feel well placed to make emotional statements about this tragedy. Please forgive any abruptness.

Re:

I thnk the only way now is for these perfomances to be held over the sea that surrounds this country. Sad for those living inland admittedly.
Even then, accidents still happen.
One of the aforementioned Red Arrows crashed over Brighton Marina, after hitting a boat's mast. The pilot died i think. Thankfully no one else though. Many yeas ago now. I was only a little boy at the time. I still remember looking up at the sky , seeing 8, and wondering why.
IIRC, two of them collided in another display.
At least displays over the coast would minimise risk to general public, when these aircraft are performing stunts.

No statement from the airport management yet. Too early? Or bad pr?

Mike

makster":1tqb6acw said:
RubberLegs":1tqb6acw said:
makster":1tqb6acw said:
I wonder if this mean that all Red Arrows displays are cancelled too?

Hopefully not, I don't think the Hawk could be classed as vintage yet.

The BBMF certainly fly vintage but I doubt if this would affect them much as they don't do much in the way of aerobatics.

The Hawks that the Red Arrows fly are certainly vintage, but I'm sure they'll escape this as they're an excellent recruitment tool for our war-mongering government.
There was none of this knee-jerk reaction when a Red Arrow crashed at Bournemouth, and the crash was a direct result of the team carrying out a risky, high-G manoeuvre at very low altitude.
The BBMF's Spitfire and Hurricane perform exactly they type of loop that the Hunter was going through when it crashed.

I was really sad to see the Vulcan display for the last time at Bournemouth on Sunday, but if this is the nanny state that we now live in, maybe it's for the best that it does retire to a life of run-way runs.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/1 ... ham_crash/

lumos2000":2zlqqpj9 said:

A former airshow promoter - who has refused to be named - told the Mirror the Red Arrows display team ruled the danger level was too high to perform their full stunt programme at Shoreham.
“They have refused point blank to do an acrobatic display"

I bet they have! They're not a circus act, after all.
Typical of The Mirror (and the Bournemouth Echo) to not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

firedfromthecircus":3rb5imy6 said:
highlandsflyer":3rb5imy6 said:
A review of safety practises regarding stunt flying would perhaps lead to better safety. In the meanwhile, ban all such activity near populated areas and busy roads full of people who did not pay to stand in a crowd watching idiots take totally unnecessary risks in order to soothe their egos.

There are plenty of remote unpopulated areas where, at a distance, such things can be done with as much risk as possible left with the pilot/s. We have a massive coast where all such business could be conducted over the sea.

This is the equivalent of an F1 race taking a lap out of Silverstone and around public roads.

Shouldn't have happened.

Silly indeed.

I don't agree with a lot of what you post on here HF, but you are spot on this one.

Airshows are willy waving of the highest order and if that is what excites you then feel free to take the risks associated with it. But these are totally needless deaths of people with no connection to the event.

Have to agree on this with, having close family in the RAF, who also felt it was completely irresponsible to perform a low level loop right over a main road, where there were innocent members of the public not even remotely connected with the Air show was a pretty irresponsible action, to say the least, particularly in a 50 year old vintage jet that was never designed to make manoeuvres like that in the first place.
Why on earth the pilot couldn't have given a bit of left rudder and missed the main road also is questionable towards his skills as a pilot.

Mike Muz 67":rgjyghwv said:
I thnk the only way now is for these perfomances to be held over the sea that surrounds this country. Sad for those living inland admittedly.
Even then, accidents still happen.
One of the aforementioned Red Arrows crashed over Brighton Marina, after hitting a boat's mast. The pilot died i think. Thankfully no one else though. Many yeas ago now. I was only a little boy at the time. I still remember looking up at the sky , seeing 8, and wondering why.
IIRC, two of them collided in another display.
At least displays over the coast would minimise risk to general public, when these aircraft are performing stunts.

No statement from the airport management yet. Too early? Or bad pr?

Mike

He was fine. NOBODY died

*the yacht shouldnt have been there

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55501

http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/AERO ... ARROWS.htm

Apologies, I thought he hadn't made it

To survive while ejection at that height is quite something too !

Mike

Considering the plane was used by the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team it should have been ok to do that manoeuvre? The plane would have been checked etc.

The Black Arrows, one of the predecessors of the current Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, the Red Arrows, were an aerobatic demonstration team formed in 1956 by Squadron Leader Roger L.Topp, then Commanding Officer 111 Squadron ("treble-one"). One of the many memorable feats accomplished by the Black Arrows was the execution of a World record loop 22 Hawker Hunter formation in 1958 at the Society of British Aircraft Constructors' show at Farnborough[1] This was a world record for the greatest number of aircraft looped in formation, and remains unbroken to this day. After the loop the Black Arrows performed the world's first 16 aircraft barrel roll.

Back