tragic crash at air show

I suspected these were rare happenings; but why on earth was he pulling a stunt over the land, when they were right next to the sea?

agree with highlandsflyer here. stunts like that should be performed over remote areas - and being next to the sea (without it hindering the spectators experience much either), this is one such case that it should have been carried out so. I cant imagine this will not be addressed for future events now - and if not, something is very wrong there - shame it has to come to this to take these discussion further.
not sure what the decision making process is for an event like this, however, i'd imagine the pilot and other members of the organisers team would have discussed the flight routine?
i imagine the investigation will look into this and people held accountable - the relatives of the people killed/injured will want answers at the very least.

correction, just listening to a CAA bod on Radio 4, he just said ' for the forseeable future no high energy manouervers for ALL vintage aircraft at airshows over land

Re:

... now we sit back and watch the knee jerk reactions to ban anything remotely risky.

4.7 people die on uk roads EACH DAY. Yet nobody is banning road transport.

Just real bad luck to hit a27, apparently being said pilot knew he was in trouble so was moving away from the crowds.

RubberLegs":12pneyr8 said:
correction, just listening to a CAA bod on Radio 4, he just said ' for the forseeable future no high energy manouervers for ALL vintage aircraft at airshows over land

I wonder if this mean that all Red Arrows displays are cancelled too?

makster":dyisyuw0 said:

Hopefully not, I don't think the Hawk could be classed as vintage yet.

The BBMF certainly fly vintage but I doubt if this would affect them much as they don't do much in the way of aerobatics.

RubberLegs":3318a15m said:
makster":3318a15m said:

Hopefully not, I don't think the Hawk could be classed as vintage yet.

The BBMF certainly fly vintage but I doubt if this would affect them much as they don't do much in the way of aerobatics.

The Hawks that the Red Arrows fly are certainly vintage, but I'm sure they'll escape this as they're an excellent recruitment tool for our war-mongering government.
There was none of this knee-jerk reaction when a Red Arrow crashed at Bournemouth, and the crash was a direct result of the team carrying out a risky, high-G manoeuvre at very low altitude.
The BBMF's Spitfire and Hurricane perform exactly they type of loop that the Hunter was going through when it crashed.

I was really sad to see the Vulcan display for the last time at Bournemouth on Sunday, but if this is the nanny state that we now live in, maybe it's for the best that it does retire to a life of run-way runs.

Back