Tools - Show Me Your DIY Tools

Great thread! Here’s some tools I made back in the early 90s as a teenager and still going strong today:

TOP (Left to right)
Chain keeper made from a spoke
Freehub injector tool to clean/purge and regrease freehubs
Simple tube scavenged and cut to length for added oomph/leverage for Allen keys
Quick homemade freewheel tool to remove brothers BMX freewheel

BOTTOM
x2 chain whips using left over chain and 6mm plate.
x1 chain whip from tubular steel with pressed end and poorly knurled handle (knurling tool was knackered!) and left over chain

074E2F89-DD04-43CF-BD2A-2FF7682CD22C.jpeg

Last edited:
Mech hanger straighteners seem to be a favourite here. I made mine from a dead M750 rear mech and a strip of ally extrusion. Wind it in and rotate the strip around the rim to check clearance. Any adjustment can be made with a long allen key in the mounting bolt and a bit of persuasion in the right direction. View attachment 769890
That is Mad Max looking. Nice work and idea!

Great thread! Here’s some tools I made back in the early 90s as a teenager and still going strong today:

TOP (Left to right)
Chain keeper made from a spoke
Freehub injector tool to clean/purge and regrease freehubs
Simple tube scavenged and cut to length for added oomph/leverage for Allen keys
Quick homemade freewheel tool to remove brothers BMX freewheel

BOTTOM
x2 chain whips using left over chain and 6mm plate.
x1 chain whip from tubular steel with pressed end and poorly knurled handle (knurling tool was knackered!) and left over chain

View attachment 769891
Very nice!

The hanger bolt is just fine pitch standard m10 x 1 bolt.....bolt and 4 nuts about a quid from the local fastener shop.

Just incase anyone wants to make one...

I knocked these up. On the "out" tool the washer that does the work is like a rectangle with rounded corners, allowing it to slip into the head tube at the same time spanning the full width of the cup on 2 sides when in position. This helps ease the cup out evenly. tap and rotate a bit, tap and rotate a bit more... The smaller washer keeps the tool vertical.
The "in" tool is more straightforward. The small washer goes in first to help even out the pressure. Tap, tap, tap. Bingo!

Attachments

• out1.jpg
    out1.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 6
  • out2.jpg
    out2.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 5
  • in1.jpg
    in1.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 5
Back