'token attractive woman'

i don't know about now but Cycling weekly was one of the better mags. So to print this is a big surprise.

Re:

Where I work, we have to portray and reflect diversity and equality matters positively. Unfortunately, there are the "token this or that" jibes from some cynical quarters, despite the nature of the organisation which is dedicated to the rights and equality of all.

I've worked for many years in publishing and magazine production so this kind of school boy slip up is of no surprise to me. It provides an opportunistic glimpse into the soul of how rebellious artworkers or designers, sub-editors and publishing staff really think behind close doors. In my time, I've witnessed some absolute howlers make it through to massive circulation print runs.

This probably happened when they were laying out pages and choosing photos to drop in and then some cheeky wag typed the offending caption whilst they waited for proper captions or credits to be provided. It was probably done with a great sense of mischief or irony but really, it should never have made it to page.

In my time, I have seen print runs junked because of cover titles like "Delivering Quaty", "A Postive Future in Your Communty", and then important people pictured in publications swanning around with an inappropriate wine glass, say. Then there's important people complaining that they never have their photo featured. So, what does the designer then do? He uses their photo but at microdot size, using it as full stops throughout an entire publication...

I am surprised however that the caption made it through the various levels of subbing and proofing to be ultimately signed off by the editors and publishers responsible for the magazine. Major fail, Cycling Weekly – rank amateurs.

Re:

Ah well ... she is attractive, after all ... (at least they weren't lying)

:facepalm:

Back