Kudos to Senior Riders

CassidyAce

Senior Retro Guru

Awful backstory, but if I get to 85 and can still ride at all, I will be chuffed. Mavis is an amazing woman!

The oldest rider I know is 75 and still going strong. He swims 5K every week too. And that got me wondering. Does anyone else know any riders in their seventies or eighties that make you think 'Wow!'? How much cycling do they do and what keeps them going?

I’ve met two who spring to mind

One was an old boy in his late 80s who was double lapping the dog trail at cannock on his non E bike.

And another was recently climbing out to peaks with a guy in his 80s who had everything replaced (knees/ shoulders/ hip) , cancer etc and was doing well on his road bike daily of around 30-50 day. His words “if I stop I will die”

Wise words

My father in law is in his mid 70s and still rides 1000s of miles a year. When he was 69 he rode from his home (Cheltenham) to Ireland. In the past couple of years he has treated himself to an E-bike for a bit of assistance.

His brother is in he 80s and still rides every day, albeit 100% e-bike these days. He rides on a stationary trainer indoors when the weather isn’t playing ball!

Sometimes I ride with them and I have an awful lot of respect for the pair of them as cyclists.

This was about 8 years ago when my 71 year old Dad( a road biker at heart) tried mountain biking for the first time. He will be 80 this August and is still riding.

My dad is 74 and still rides every day. A couple of years ago he did a 250km round trip, which he enjoyed immensely. He still tinkers with his many bicycles and likes to experiment with different wheel sizes and fat tyres. Recently he built a fixed gear cross bike and did 50km rides on it.

Another one who springs to mind is @Nabeaquam, who is in his seventies, riding all sorts of old stuff and has made some fascinating build threads on here.

I know this guy from Santa Cruz who started riding aged 62 and had 100,000 miles by age 70.

Still riding and counts a sub 10k mile year as a low one.

This was about 8 years ago when my 71 year old Dad( a road biker at heart) tried mountain biking for the first time. He will be 80 this August and is still riding.
I enjoyed that video—great choice of music too.

Thank you for the replies: I find something life-affirming in reading those stories and it's good to hear of older people who are fit, active and enjoying life.

3 years old but

That's an average of about 280 miles per week for 68 years. And he was riding most in his sixties and seventies. Impressive!

FIL is in his 70s and still riding, although he now uses an Ebike to help given that neither of his knees are his.
he is smashing my distance and has done for the past few years. while I'm stuck in work, he's out there enjoying it.

Back