Cyclists who kill

I’m torn on this.

That such extremely rare occurrences are charged under an “ancient” law seems odd and mis-aligned and a more appropriate set of laws with the rise of electric scooters and e-bikes (especially looking at some of the modified/home brew/e-motorbikes that are about) might be appropriate.

That such incidents are so rare means that they always attract a disproportionate amount of media attention. Can you imagine the evening news/newspaper headlines if every incident of a driver killing a pedestrian/cyclist was given the same level of coverage, and sentences were consistent (see Sub 2 year sentence for killing a cyclist).

What it really is, is a politician throwing titbits to their supporting crowd, wonders what real news is being masked by this “dead cat”.

Cyclists kill approximately two people a year, although it averages as only once every 6 years that a cyclist is held legally at fault by a court.

Conversely, peds stepping out while HUA (head-up-ass) kills around 6 cyclists a year, 3 times as many as the other way round. Where's the tough talk on sentencing for them?

Indeed, stampeding cattle and lightning strikes each kill more people than cyclists do.

I'm not against tougher sentencing, but with so many far more prolific killers out there it seems a highly odd priority. It smacks of little more than cynically trying to get on side with the large swathe of Mail reading voters.

Cyclists kill approximately two people a year, although it averages as only once every 6 years that a cyclist is held legally at fault by a court.

Conversely, peds stepping out while HUA (head-up-ass) kills around 6 cyclists a year, 3 times as many as the other way round. Where's the tough talk on sentencing for them?

Indeed, stampeding cattle and lightning strikes each kill more people than cyclists do.

I'm not against tougher sentencing, but with so many far more prolific killers out there it seems a highly odd priority. It smacks of little more than cynically trying to get on side with the large swathe of Mail reading voters.
This

The headlines made it look as if thousands of people are killed every year by the demon cyclist.

All it did is fall straight into the the lap of the gammon faced 'they don't pay road tax' brigade.

Disproportionate is the right word, and the news coverage by the BBC was unnecessary

Somebody needed some headlines so let's pick on an easy target

... more appropriate set of laws with the rise of electric scooters and e-bikes (especially looking at some of the modified/home brew/e-motorbikes that are about..
The modified bikes are already dealt with under the motorbike laws so carry a harsher sentence already*, and then done for no tax, mot, insurance, registration too.
But they are illegally ridden so nothing you do to legal cycles/EPAC is going to help there.
Of course they need to bring in Electric scooter laws to make them legal if you own them too.

*which is generally a slap on the wrist like car drivers because sun in my eyes, need car to work etc ;-), for killing a few people that get in the way.

The way the propaganda media work in this country, is to get people irate and annoyed over something that doesn't really affect them, rather than tell all the facts.

Just remember folks, you will always sell more tickets for a ghost train, than a speak your weight machine.

The way the propaganda media work in this country, is to get people irate and annoyed over something that doesn't really affect them, rather than tell all the facts.

Just remember folks, you will always sell more tickets for a ghost train, than a speak your weight machine.
I dunno Weight Watchers make quite a bit of money with speak your weight machines.

Back