Today's ROAD ride

Re:

You sure make yourself visible Jamie, unsurprising as you are probably a good few miles from the nearest street light.

That climb looks excellent, like all climbs I do, it would need to be done at a moderate pace, my legs and lungs simply won't take me up hills at speed.

Have a great evening, and I hope you all enjoy some great rides in 2018.

Re:

Had a little pootle this afternoon, starting off sunny but didn't last long! :roll:

So off I pedalled, along the flat, boring road to Littlehampton, across the harbour bridge and towards Yapton.

IMG_20180311_142746[2] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

One of the very few times in the year I wear a hairnet helmet! Up through the quieter roads around Walburton, where I took another photo. Embarrassed myself when I stopped on the grass in the foreground and realized I had both feet still locked into the pedals! :facepalm:

IMG_20180311_144446[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

So over the A27 which was quiet, and up to Slindon. Really like riding this bike, the first proper ride I'd done on it since building it :oops:
Long uphill drag to Whiteways Lodge, with a cafe I DIDN'T stop at! Around the back of Arundel. Stopped for a couple of shots, before the descent into Amberley.

IMG_20180311_151417[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_20180311_151740[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

I took the bar end plugs out, after noticing they were a bit loose. Now better with a bit of tape around them. Photo taken at home after the ride, and bike dried off now too! :LOL:

IMG_20180311_170342[2] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Through Amberley I went, into Storrington, and then made a B line for the cafe at Steyning!

IMG_20180311_160811[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Caffeine fuelled, I went up and over the Steyning Bostal road, by which time the battery on my phone was dead, so no photo, soddit! :evil:

Dropping down into Worthing and back home, I got in just as the rain started.

Gratuitous photo of both my Jacksons to end

IMG_20180311_170248[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Mike

Only thing better than one Bob Jackson, two Bob Jacksons :)
It's good to have choices, and they are both good choices.

Jamie

Re:

Thanks Jamie!

Love riding them both, obviously not at the same time. Note to self, leave one toe clip loose! :LOL: :LOL: :facepalm:

Mike

South Africa Cape Town Argus Cycle Tour, March 2018:

68 miles, 3,400 ft, 4hrs 20 min, 15.5 avg speed.

The Argus tour is billed as the largest participation ride in the world, and has seen up to 35,000 riders take part in recent events in its 40 year history. The event raises millions of Rand for charity projects in the Western Cape. The 2017 edition was cancelled due to very high winds although one British rider attacked the course and completed it in defiance of the closure. We gathered in front of the grand architecture of the town hall next to a statue of King Edward VII, the royal patron who was so well known in all the corners of the globe. Only 26,000 riders taking part his year, some in fancy dress, one Brompton folder, several very large people, mostly road bikes a few off roadies, only a few vintage machines. Weather was cool and light overcast, and mercifully no wind, we set off in groups of 100 from pens on the Grand Parade where the Royal Scots Greys used to be inspected. Easy climbs out of the city in motorways and dual roads, got the legs going and into the rhythm of riding with many people, keeping clear of everybody and generally observing the golden rule of restraint to save energy for the big climbs at the end of the course. Big discrepancies in speeds as casual cyclists got in the way of racing speedsters, so several collisions at water stops, these were plentiful and consisted of long lines of tables on the road side with water and energy drinks in cups, the sun is very hot when the clouds occasionally cleared but a thick layer of factor 50+ keeps the worse at bay, the route was a circuit of the Cape peninsular, and the southward leg was straightforward, much like my training ride on the country lanes around Stratford, with obvious differences in the landscapes, many people out on the roadside to cheer us on, Muizenberg was the site of great battle where the British army landed and defeated the Dutch to take control of the Cape in 1795, past Simons Town the home of the Dutch East India Company ships in 1650 and now of the South African navy, and port of departure for the Antarctic expeditions of Scott, Ross, Naher and Drygalski, almost riding to the Cape of Good Hope but turning off northwards on the return to Cape Town, on this leg the towns and seaside vista was much more interesting, the boulders of the 12 Apostles standing proud in vibrant turquoise seas and foaming white waves, it was difficult not to stop to take in the scenes, and then the major climb of Chapmans Peak Drive, a ribbon of tarmac snaking up the side of a vertical rock face, everybody in lowest gear and concentrating hard, about 3 miles at 7%, a steady grind with great views of the deep blue sea, and then a fast downhill into the posh area of some very expensive houses, using three lanes like Nigel Mansell, pretending to be Chris Froome on the 2017 Tour of France, until the second big climb of Suikerbossie, another 7 percenter just before the finish, but no real problem to conquer, and then the run in to the end just narrowly avoiding running off the road on the last sharp corner to the cry of ‘well done’ from a spectator, a giant sized medal was my reward and then back to the hotel for a water restricted shower and packing bike and bags for the next stop on the trip. Highlights were Victoria and Alfred waterfront, Kirstenbosch gardens, Laingsberg flood museum and Boer War British blockhouse, Matjiesfontein and 10 minute tour on London bus.

Attachments

• CapeTownArgus  StartingTownHall Mar2018 P1040057 Small.jpg
    CapeTownArgus StartingTownHall Mar2018 P1040057 Small.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 424
  • CapeTownArgus HoldsworthInTableTopFrame Mar2018 P1040081 Small.jpg
    CapeTownArgus HoldsworthInTableTopFrame Mar2018 P1040081 Small.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 424
  • CapeTown CycleTourArgus HoldsworthFinisher Mar2018 Small.jpg
    CapeTown CycleTourArgus HoldsworthFinisher Mar2018 Small.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 424
  • CapeTown CycleTourArgus HoldsworthToppingChapmansPeak Mar2018 Small.jpg
    CapeTown CycleTourArgus HoldsworthToppingChapmansPeak Mar2018 Small.jpg