Today's ROAD ride

Looks good Neil and some wise discretion with the ice.
I like the KTM, very nice looking machine.
Your weather looks pretty good, nice and sunny even if cold.
It's been pretty cold up here and had a few driving through some heavier stuff down near Sterling yesterday but up here it's all but gone. Very cold though so lots of ice about, especially on our road and the surrounding lanes that aren't used that often. We had some good snow a couple of weekends ago but only lasted a few days.
it was actually sunny for a while this afternoon and not much wind at all so the little man and I headed out for a few miles. Obviously at a relaxed pace but still keeping the legs rolling for a hour or two. No where near the effort of your ride but at least we still got out. On the Mercian so can post as a retro rider :) Lately in the snow it is the cargo bike that is the go to.

Jamie

freezing fog rolling in!
333 (2) by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

333 (1) by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Nice to get out and about Jamie regardless of the distance.

I used to take my two kids over to the Forest of Dean when they were that age, now they are both in their 30's and can easily out ride and out climb me and take part in Audax's. :facepalm:

Just letting you know what the future holds. :mrgreen:

My son and I will be on Mull in June, for the sportive, and other riding around the island.

Re:

Nice bike, Jamie, looks lovely and peaceful there. Er, unless you have a youngster! :LOL: :xmas-wink:

Mike

Retro Spud":30nqg6ti said:
Neil
Nice trip out there.

Really must to do a cheddar gorge / Chew Valley lakes rides. I see cheddar appearing quite high in the top 100 best climbs in the UK and the lakes look stunning especially in summer.

In my book of the 100 greatest cycling climbs Cheddar Gorge is rated 3/10 for difficulty. There seem to be more challenging ones at Crowcombe, 8/10, Porlock 9/10 and Dunkery Beacon 10/10 (same area as Porlock) :shock: but I think it may be a bit of a , ahem, Trek, for you mate

Mike

Hi Mike, are there any of those climbs in Scotland? West coast or north? Maybe look for a challenge to join in the fun and suffering :)

Neil, he is certainly growing up fast. It seems like trying to sort him into a trailer when he was about to turn one, to progressing through front I Bert seat to rear Yepp seat to our current Big Dummy has flown by in a blink of an eye. He is now seven and as of the summer he rides most places on his own and when touring now he wants the Dummy as we can tow his little bike and then he can ride when it's safe and then jump back on the back. He's about to progress onto a 20'' wheel size in spring but he wants gears and somewhere to put a pannier so he can go further afield. Though I suppose that's the aim, to get them growing up and doing it themselves even if they do start leaving us behind :) Must be nice to see them still riding though.
Here's a shot from the other week in the snow, not a road ride as is usually seen here but a road ride all the same ;) It's all about having fun really :)

Jamie

DSC_1786 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Mike Muz 67":2le707un said:
Retro Spud":2le707un said:
Neil
Nice trip out there.

Really must to do a cheddar gorge / Chew Valley lakes rides. I see cheddar appearing quite high in the top 100 best climbs in the UK and the lakes look stunning especially in summer.

In my book of the 100 greatest cycling climbs Cheddar Gorge is rated 3/10 for difficulty. There seem to be more challenging ones at Crowcombe, 8/10, Porlock 9/10 and Dunkery Beacon 10/10 (same area as Porlock) :shock: but I think it may be a bit of a , ahem, Trek, for you mate

Mike

:oops: I thought it was 3rd in someones top 10 !

Still gotta climb it as its an icon in the southwest landscape, I guess when I do I'd better not think I've done anything special.

Great Dun Fel is the one I've got my sights set on for 2018

Great Dun Fel sounds good Mike :)
When I seen Clives Birthday photos from September I thought it looked really nice. I'm not into these climbs just for the sake of it, there has to be a nice view in a nice area and that one certainly fits the bill.
I remembered Clives photos as he posted the shot across the Lakeland fells because my terrier is a Lakeland fell x Patterdale :)
Maybe a trip south is in order :)
For now I am just heading out for a ride into the freezing cold rain that hasn't let up all day, but I intend to see out the year with a ride. Most likely well wrapped on the tourer for a couple of hours round the coast to JOG's for a cuppa then home. We'll see how that goes :)

Jamie

Jamie

Re:

Great photo of you pulling the sledge, Jamie! :LOL:

Looking through the book, the most obvious climb is Bealach-Na-Ba, Applecross. North west Scotland. Rated as 11/10 :shock: :shock: and one I want to do sometime. May have to put on a 28 for that, though!
Cairn Gorm from Aviemore, is rated as 6/10 , then there is another in the same area, The Letch, Cock Bridge, Aberdeenshire. 10/10 that one mate. Cairndow, Argyle and Bute has a 6/10, and is on the west coast, but that's about it for that part of Scotland

Mike

We should get a ride together that challenges folk and includes a climb- something of note with a decent elevation (well as much as you can get in the UK)

With a pic of everyone at the top ...

Well, like all plans, things change.
I did get out for a couple of hours and despite it still raining and then sleeting with roads covered in mud and gravel etc I still had a good ride.
I ended up just putting my bag on the back of the Mercian and doing a loop to get a few miles in. It was too late really to head to JOG's and expect anything to be open so thought a loop more inland would give me a bit of protection from the wind that was slowly picking up. It had also been a while since I had put on my wet weather overtrousers and I also had a jacket to try out. Good to get a few miles in the legs and was surprised that of the very few cars I did see on the back roads, two stopped to make sure I was OK when I stopped for a drink.
Anyway have a great New Year when it gets here and here's to many happy miles in 2018.

001 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

003 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

004 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

And here's a couple heading up the Bealach Na Ba, it's not far from me so if anyone fancies it I would be happy to join them.
It's doable on most things, just depends if your in a rush. I have a triple on my Merckx but Brian has his Ti machine singlespeed!
Going up
19456210870_57406fcb58_k by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

19618172096_f8077b1c0d_k by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

From sea level to here
19644401655_5c9a017d3e_k by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

It's doable on most things, just depends if your in a rush. I have a triple on my Merckx but Brian has his Ti machine singlespeed!

Back