Time pedal timeline ?

Pionir":2p7gperb said:
latman":2p7gperb said:
i had some of those titan mags years ago but i broke one of the rear spring tabs off in a fall , the Ti spindles got fitted into some later model criterium pedals and did a few more miles in their new home

Hi, did you do the spindle swap yourself? I've got a pair of titan mag equip pedals with loose bearings so they're clicking. I've got the outer circlip off but can't work out how to get the seal and spindle out so I was hoping someone could give me a pointer. I've got a pair of racing mag pedals with good bearings so I'll try and cannibalise if possible.

Cheers, David
can't work out how to get the seal and spindle out

Once you have the circlip out it's 'just' a matter of tapping off the body from the spindle.

However easier said than done because the bearings are a tight interference fit and you won't be able just to pull them apart in your hands.

What I did was screw the pedal back into an old crank arm, held that in a work bench and then tapped the pedal body with the wooden shaft of a club hammer. eventualy the ensemble seperated.

i cannot remember exactly (it was back a long while ago) but i thought it just pulled out then , I think the large inboard bearing stayed on the spindle.

Lastcol":2a98jawt said:
Pionir":2a98jawt said:
latman":2a98jawt said:
i had some of those titan mags years ago but i broke one of the rear spring tabs off in a fall , the Ti spindles got fitted into some later model criterium pedals and did a few more miles in their new home

Hi, did you do the spindle swap yourself? I've got a pair of titan mag equip pedals with loose bearings so they're clicking. I've got the outer circlip off but can't work out how to get the seal and spindle out so I was hoping someone could give me a pointer. I've got a pair of racing mag pedals with good bearings so I'll try and cannibalise if possible.

Cheers, David
can't work out how to get the seal and spindle out

Once you have the circlip out it's 'just' a matter of tapping off the body from the spindle.

However easier said than done because the bearings are a tight interference fit and you won't be able just to pull them apart in your hands.

What I did was screw the pedal back into an old crank arm, held that in a work bench and then tapped the pedal body with the wooden shaft of a club hammer. eventualy the ensemble seperated.

Thanks, that worked a treat! I ended up just injecting a load of grease as I couldn't see an easy way to get the roller bearing out of the pedal (I don't have a good toolset) and didn't want to damage it and the main bearing seemed ok. Hopefully a test ride will reveal it's much smoother now :)

I just got all my TBT pedals weighed on the 1 gram scales at work , interesting that the late 80s pedals were lighter than the early 90s ones ,the left ones are steel axles alloy bodies , the middle ones are steel axles and magnesium bodies but the right ones are Titanium axles and Magnesium bodies

Attachments

• bottoms.jpg
    bottoms.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 338
  • tops.jpg
    tops.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 338
Re:

I think my Equip Mag must have a clump of mud on the underside :)

Here's a Shimano Look pedal for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_20141209_114647-001.jpg
    IMG_20141209_114647-001.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_20141209_115154-001.jpg
    IMG_20141209_115154-001.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 333
I did notice my black 50.1 pedals have no Allen key hole in the end of the spindle , what do your equipe mags look like ? ps those Ultegra Looks are a dirty disgrace

All of my Time pedals have the Allen key hole. I never noticed it in 25 years until I came across it on a website last year! Even my cheapy "sprint" pedals have it.
They're surprisingly light, presumably because the body is plastic.

I agree those pedals are shocking. I used to use them on a mountain bike and never cleaned them. Didn't stop someone paying £20 on ebay for them though!!

Attachments

• IMG_20150817_183340~01.jpg
    IMG_20150817_183340~01.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 320
Sweet ! my best ebay Time pedal score has been a set of NOS polished silver pedals (not in the photo), one seller had a left one for US $20 with free shipping and another had a right one for US$10 with $5 shipping

I actually got the Sprints new in around 1993—1994, but they'll be up on eBay soon. I picked up a pair of Titan Magnesium on eBay a few months ago for 99p (plus £3 postage) which I'm rather pleased with :D

Wow that is a score , I bought a pair of NOS all alloy cleats for the Titan Mags off an Italian ebay seller recently , I have no Idea how they will last till I use them

Attachments

• 849864367_o.jpg
    849864367_o.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 315
Back