Ti road frames

Thanks all, I've had a look at the above but also Merlin, Enigma, Sunday/Sabbath, Burls, IF and others, there are certainly a few options.

I also realised that the only new 'proper bikes' I've owned (that's brand new rather than new to me) were in 1983 (Holdsworth Avanti) and 2003 (On One Pompino) so perhaps it is time I made some space in the shed and had something new. I go through the process of looking at getting something custom reasonably regularly - I thought long and hard about it for my 40th - but in the end can't decide (the joys of being Libran!) and worry about being disappointed with what I might get in terms of value against what I already have (plus not actually knowing what I want). Perhaps I shouldn't overthink and just get on with it.

If you go down the secondhand route, they are like hens' teeth, but either of the two round-tubed Raleighs built of UK-sourced titanium tube (the earlier silver-grey or the later red/white R800) are worth considering. The ones with the huge ovalised down tube on the other hand are bloomin' ugly!

David

Running a Lynskey Sportive at the momment . It came as a frame only .Built it up with 105 components in the main.Cannot fault the ride quality .

bagpuss":143i8qu0 said:
Running a Lynskey Sportive at the momment . It came as a frame only .Built it up with 105 components in the main.Cannot fault the ride quality .

Nice frames. Would particularly love a Cooper for CX racing, sadly I don't have a Lynskey Cooper-sized salary. :(

David

ededwards":1dxbsj60 said:
I go through the process of looking at getting something custom reasonably regularly - I thought long and hard about it for my 40th - but in the end can't decide (the joys of being Libran!) and worry about being disappointed with what I might get in terms of value against what I already have (plus not actually knowing what I want). Perhaps I shouldn't overthink and just get on with it.

I'm not a great fan of astrology, but does being a Libra also mean that weight is a major consideration in choosing a bike? ;)

David*

*Aries = the ram, apparently. What a load of rubbish. Never been to a Derby County match in my life....

I've ordered five custom titanium frames from China - all have been great and the latest was about the third of the price of anything equivalent on the market, and better designed to boot:

kGFN8cml.jpg

Frame is designed for 29x3" Surly Knard tyres was built by Waltly titanium and cost $800 including shipping

Early Litespeed (in other words before the Lynskeys sold out). I love my 1994 Catalyst, a wonderfully comfortable frame for long days. I would worry that in a 63 or 64 it would be too flexy though. It would depend on what you intend it to do: long days or haring around for an hour or two.

I'd forgotten about the Chinese custom option and $800 shipped is certainly attractive, could even go for larger diameter tubes to offset the size of the frame, even if that may impact on the "magic carpet ride".

Being Libran however this really just gives me an additional option to attempt to weigh up.

Really, has no one got a 63-64cm Merlin they want shot of for a song?

jonnyboy666":2m2eel1t said:
/
titanium realistically means a US frame,
Enigma and Spin - both world class manufacturers, top frames and off-the-peg or custom build options and BRITISH

pigman":355d352s said:
jonnyboy666":355d352s said:
/
titanium realistically means a US frame,
Enigma and Spin - both world class manufacturers, top frames and off-the-peg or custom build options and BRITISH

Lovely bikes, Enigmas - not cheap though. Last time I was in Stan Jones's in Shrewsbury they had a Campag-equipped road model. No price ticket on it and I didn't dare ask how much either!

Don't know a lot about Spin, other than having witnessed their sponsored riders endure numerous bad days at the office during ITV4's Tour Series crits (which hopefully doesn't reflect negatively on the quality of said bikes).

David

Back