Lively little Le Jeune tandem

DrJo

Senior Retro Guru
So I've been hankering for a tandem for quite a while now. Something a bit sedate to test the waters with so to speak. I'd really love to go full pelt and get something a bit special but my budget isn't big and until I've tried it out I really don't want to spend too much.
After a few months of browsing my local free ads, fb marketplace and ebay what I think may be the perfect starter tandem popped up 28 miles away for collection only. A lovely retro 70's/80's Le Jeune tandem in a sorry state but with a few saving graces. Tandem TA triple set up, matching Shimano Adamas ax pedals and aa Atom rear drum brake hub. A quick bit of ebay snipery and it was mine for the princely sum of £53.50. I've just picked it up and have plans.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

Last edited:
So I've been hankering for a tandem for quite a while now. Something a bit sedate to test the waters with so to speak. I'd really love to go full pelt and get something a bit special but my budget isn't big and until I've tried it out I really don't want to spend too much.
After a few months of browsing my local free ads, fb marketplace and ebay what I think may be the perfect starter tandem popped up 28 miles away for collection only. A lovely retro 70's/80's Le Jeune tandem in a sorry state but with a few saving graces. Tandem TA triple set up, matching Shimano Adamas ax pedals and a Leleu rear drum brake hub. A quick bit of ebay snipery and it was mine for the princely sum of £53.50. I've just picked it up and have plans.

View attachment 826584View attachment 826585View attachment 826586View attachment 826587
Super bargain . A lovely thing .

To continue the theme, as that's not all folks, at the same time I spotted a sad looking Clements locally for £20 ending a day or so later. It was the obvious front pannier rack that drew me to it, I love a bit of retro portage and could see that this was a bit special. Showa indeed, made of the finest Japanese alloy and pretty as a picture. Having just returned home with a tandem in the van I downed a quick cup of coffee and nipped out to collect it. The gentleman selling the Clements had rescued it from the tip, seeing it's inherent worthiness. I was clearly a very happy ebayer as it was a lovely extra flourish for the tandem. In passing I mentioned I'd been looking for a matching rear rack online and lo and behold he offered to sell me the very same. He had removed the rear rack prior to listing and put it on his mtb, shock horror, he was happy to part with it for an extra £15. I now have matching front and rear racks. And a lovely pair of buttery smooth, solid Rigida 40spoke wheels, straight and true. Did I mention how happy I am.

s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg

And the last bit of the puzzle fell into place perfectly. A nos Leleu tandem rear hub for £17.35.
All told this has cost me £105.85. I'll be off to the community bike workshop on wednesday to start the build. Wish me luck.....

s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg

Last edited:
Back