y2k - 2, 3 triangles, 3Al / 2.5 V

br0qn

Retro Guru
It's a 1998 GT Edge Ti, in my size. I'm ecstatic!

1998_gt_edge_Ti-1.jpg

1998_gt_edge_Ti-2.jpg

Geo here below from the catalog save the Seat Tube which are my measurements as they're not listed in catalog.

Frame Size 50

Seat Tube C-T - 55cm
Seat Tube C-C - 50cm
Top Tube C-C - 53cm
Head Tube - 10cm
HT Angle - 72
ST Angle - 74.5
BB Height - 271mm
Rake - 45
Chainstay - 405mm
Wheel base - 977mm

naked without the cable guides and cage bolts, the frame weighs in around 1365g ! (my digi scale was giving me 1360-1370 depending on from where I hung the bike)

I recently finished the Loa, a CX bike that I have setup to perform road duty, and decided I'd hunt a road bike project so the Loa could take full advantage of it's higher BB, longer stays, and generous tire clearance. I had a shortlist of potentials, the longshot being a Ti Edge. Low and behold some 30 days later one materialized as a frame only, in my size, reasonable ask, and relatively near. I'm pretty spent after what went into the Voodoo but I just couldn't let this one go.

Before I finished the Loa I'd already been writing up a spec/spread sheet dream build so I have a good idea of what I want to do here. The fork I found separately and picked up cheap enough as an option/placeholder. Never having had a carbon component of any sort, this thing, to me, is frighteningly light at ~345g. Figured for the $ it would be worth a go and immediately I feel the other fork I'd been considering would look better. 1" head tube so options are limited but the Columbus Minimal is easy to get ahold of and seems well liked so I think I'll end up with one.

When my eyes landed on one of these months ago I began the research and found that these bikes have some serious pedigree having been built in GT's Longmont, CO Tech Shop which employed notable builders that I know little about, and having been raced by the US national team and in the Olympics and clocked a USPRO Championship Gold in '96 by Eddy Gragus.

Here is a page out of the '98 catalog from the archives.

1998-2-40.jpg

I typed the copy into translator and it spit out -

nowadays almost every company sells a titanium bike. So what makes the gt edge titanium better than the multitude of other ti bikes? Well, definitely our unique triple triangle design that makes the frame incredibly laterally stiff without sacrificing the suppleness of the titanium. In addition, we can say about ourselves. that we are one of the most successful frame manufacturers in the world. countless medals in national championships. world championships and even the olympics are on our success list. when it comes to quality, our frame builders are some of the most respected welders in the bike biz. the edge-titanium is made in our tech shop in longmont, colorado. manufactured and welded together in one step. after the frame has been polished to a high gloss. the edge is only equipped with the best components. that are worthy of a titanium frame. shimano dura ace sti. mavic open pro rims. double butted dt swiss spokes, michelin tires and syncros stem. now you must be asking yourself: why buy another ti-bike when there is a gt edge titanium next to it!

Some images from getty -

Gragus in '96

96_eddy_Gragus.jpg

Nate Reiss in '96

96_tour_Dupont_Nate_resiss2.jpg

USPS team in China in '96... can make out 4 Edge Ti's

96_Yuen_Long_Circuit_China_USPostalService.jpg

Last edited:
So have you a pair of the rare Synergy 4 spoke wheels 🤔
;D I did find a set actually. Did my research and the set I found is not of the explosion-prone first gen. They also look virtually unused.

I've inquired about shipping, no reply yet though...people get really bent when you ask them to put stuff in a box.

Reactions: Nob
;D I did find a set actually. Did my research and the set I found is not of the explosion-prone first gen. They also look virtually unused.

I've inquired about shipping, no reply yet though...people get really bent when you ask them to put stuff in a box.
Good luck on securing them 👍

That’s going to be a great build! I loved mine but it was really too small for me at 56cm so it didn’t get ridden as much as my Alu Edge.

I never really liked the alloy/Carbon Edge forks, I’ve run both the Ti and Alu with Profile Designs straight leg. The ones you’ve chosen look a great fit.

Good luck on securing them 👍
crickets...

That’s going to be a great build! I loved mine but it was really too small for me at 56cm so it didn’t get ridden as much as my Alu Edge.

I never really liked the alloy/Carbon Edge forks, I’ve run both the Ti and Alu with Profile Designs straight leg. The ones you’ve chosen look a great fit.
Right on ! I've been obsessing over 1" carbon forks for a few days and found quite a few options. The frame didn't come with the Edge fork but I probably would have looked to replace it if it did. I did come across the Profile Designs fork in my search too but didn't find any real feedback. The one on there now, the Forte Axis Pro, might not make the cut. I really like the silhouette but I'm not sure of the finish working with whatever else makes it on here. I did find that it is apparently the same as a Kinesis Saber but branded for performancebike.

Some other 1" carbon fork options I found. Would love to fit 28's front/rear so that is a huge consideration for me. Then it's ride quality then weight and somewhere in there is look good and don't die. I need to get a hold of a 25mm OD rim and see what tire I can squeeze in the rear, any intel you can share here @Gtpulse ?

**Note the numbers here below are just found form various sources on the net. Some from vendors, some from the makers and some reported numbers collected from forums.

ForkweightbladerakeACSteerer MaterialTire Clearance
new production​
GT Edge Carbon577gcurved45mm?
Forte Axis Pro346gcurved370mmcarbon
Easton EC90 SL321gcurved43mmcarbonmaybe 28c
Wound up~600gstraightvarious368mmsteel28c
x​
Alpha Q GS10335gstraight44mm371mmcarbonmaybe 28c
Ritchey Comp Carbon450gcurved43mm370mmalloy25c
x​
Origin 8 Pro Synergy~500gstraight43mm368mmalloy28c
x​
Columbus Minimal340gcurved45mm367mmcarbon25c
x​

I know there are others but these are either currently in production or, if older production, I've found nearly pristine examples that I'd feel comfortable using save the original GT Edge fork which is here for comparison.

Off the bat, I love the silhouette of the Easton fork with curved blades (it was also offered straight.)

I know there was also a Ritchey Pro Carbon fork with a carbon steerer but can't seem to find them anymore.

Attachments

• fork_Ritchey_Comp_Carbon.JPG
    fork_Ritchey_Comp_Carbon.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 12
  • origin-8-pro-pulsion-synergy-fork-201154-1.jpg
    origin-8-pro-pulsion-synergy-fork-201154-1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Fork_Woundup.jpg
    Fork_Woundup.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Fork_alphaQ_gs-10.jpg
    Fork_alphaQ_gs-10.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Fork_Edge_Aero.JPG
    Fork_Edge_Aero.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Forte_Axi_Pro.jpg
    Forte_Axi_Pro.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 14
  • Columbus_Minimal.JPG
    Columbus_Minimal.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 14
  • fork_Easton.jpg
    fork_Easton.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
crickets...

Right on ! I've been obsessing over 1" carbon forks for a few days and found quite a few options. The frame didn't come with the Edge fork but I probably would have looked to replace it if it did. I did come across the Profile Designs fork in my search too but didn't find any real feedback. The one on there now, the Forte Axis Pro, might not make the cut. I really like the silhouette but I'm not sure of the finish working with whatever else makes it on here. I did find that it is apparently the same as a Kinesis Saber but branded for performancebike.

Some other 1" carbon fork options I found. Would love to fit 28's front/rear so that is a huge consideration for me. Then it's ride quality then weight and somewhere in there is look good and don't die. I need to get a hold of a 25mm OD rim and see what tire I can squeeze in the rear, any intel you can share here @Gtpulse ?

**Note the numbers here below are just found form various sources on the net. Some from vendors, some from the makers and some reported numbers collected from forums.

ForkweightbladerakeACSteerer MaterialTire Clearance
new production​
GT Edge Carbon577gcurved45mm?
Forte Axis Pro435gcurved370mmcarbon
Easton EC90 SL321gcurved43mmcarbonmaybe 28c
Wound up~600gstraightvarious368mmsteel28c
x​
Alpha Q GS10335gstraight44mm371mmcarbonmaybe 28c
Ritchey Comp Carbon450gcurved43mm370mmalloy25c
x​
Origin 8 Pro Synergy~500gstraight43mm368mmalloy28c
x​
Columbus Minimal340gcurved45mm367mmcarbon25c
x​

I know there are others but these are either currently in production or, if older production, I've found nearly pristine examples that I'd feel comfortable using save the original GT Edge fork which is here for comparison.

Off the bat, I love the silhouette of the Easton fork with curved blades (it was also offered straight.)

I know there was also a Ritchey Pro Carbon fork with a carbon steerer but can't seem to find them anymore.
Think I ran mine with 23c tyres, never tried anything wider in either bike. You can see in the photo the 23c looks quite snug in the stays.

IMG_1715.jpeg

Looks like I ran my Ti with Ambrosio forks as well as Profiles. Dropped some photos below hope you don’t mind, gives you the look of each type to rule in/out if you change yours.

IMG_1710.jpeg IMG_1139.jpeg

The Profiles I’ve had two types - the straight ones like above are something like SC and another pair I’ve got in the garage are BRC are a little more aero shaped and curved.

IMG_3223.jpeg

You can see in the photo the 23c looks quite snug in the stays
That does look snug. Looking at mine I am pretty sure 25's will fit and I've seen one or two instance of people running 28's but not sure if it's just a magic rim/tire combo that measures small or if some Edge's have more clearance than others? Frame size / year / material dependent?

Anyway, thank you for weighing in and for the photos, those I don't mind at all ;D Do you have a preference for any one of the forks and if so, why? I ended up getting the Easton fork as well to have the option. I'm only wondering if I should have any concern for the 43mm rake rather than the 45mm on the Forte and also that the catalog states. Not sure those 2mm will quicken the steering up too much or if it will worsen overlap. Interestingly I also found that the '95 Tech Shop catalog shows the sz 50 having a 50mm rake!

1995_Edge_Tech_Shop.JPG

Also noted that the earlier top tube measurements are 5mm shorter and there seems to be a discrepancy re chainstay length in the 2 '98 catalogs found here in the archive. 1 is listed at 405 and the other 410.

Wow you’ve certainly done some detailed research! The most detailed I get is how long a stem I’m going to need. In terms of looks my favourite is actually the bare aluminium edge fork that came with my alu Edge, kind of reminds me of a Vitus or Alan fork. I had decided I wanted to run an aheadstem which is what made me buy the Profiles. Favourite to ride are the Profile SC, and definitely on the Alu bike not the Ti. Everything just feels spot on on that bike with those forks, comfort and handling. In my case that was probably because my Ti was a tiny bit too small for me, I ended preferring the alu Edge.

No info on rake in the 1996 retailer guide but does look like the 60cm was longer then than in 1998!

IMG_3235.jpeg

Back