Thomson

Similar cracks have appeared in several of my motorcycle clip-ons. Those were my fault, as I did not follow torque instructions.

I've since learned my lesson. As such, there are 2 Thomson stems and 2 seatposts in my fleet. 5 other Thomson components have been sold from project bikes. Of the 9 Thomson components that have been in my possession, all have proven to be as good as or better than other brands when properly torqued.

I'll vouch for Thomson.

I have thomson on all of my other 6 bikes, and had them quite a while. I always torque them correctly, it's just this stem and seatpost. After them replying about temperature etc, I feel they know its a problem. I'll continue using what I still have but will be wary and won't be buying their stuff again

Don't assume that everyone who has had issues is overtorquing their stems and seatposts.
If you store your bike in a garage that is not temperature regulated and it gets cold overnight, don't get thomson. That's my advice.
Of course thomson knows about the problem.

The thing is my garage is a warm garage, its part of my house and insulated. Obviously I go riding in all temperatures so if that's what they mean then I'm not impressed

I bought it from crc, I might give them a try but sounds like they're being taken over by tw@t Ashley
Can confirm this, I tried to contact them about a recent order last week but my account no longer exists on their system. Customer service emails come from Sports Direct now.

Can't imagine you'll have much luck, but maybe they'll send you a giant mug as a replacement.

Thomson are just saying things to cover their arses from people who don't put things together properly and, instead of those people just admitting that fact, they will go to court with some science that most absolutely most definitely was the cause of the failure.
You hear cries of, "but i always use a torque wrench" from others yet how many of those people ever calibrate the wrenches?. Do they honestly think that the wrench is definitely right and remains so for ever more?. Do they always wind off the torque setting after using the wrench and store them slack?. The majority of home and bike/car mechanics do none of this and alot of wrenches are way off.
What alot of people dont get is that down at low figures a teeny bit out is massive, as a percentage, compared to the same error at car wheel nut levels, for example. The errors can vary alot within the whole range of the wrench, too. It really depends on the quality, storage conditions, and how the wrench has been used if it is second hand.

It so much less hassle to have some small print, to cover an outside possibility, and take the hit of a very small percentage of people getting scared off a product.

If you really think these are sure death products then ask them to provide details of what lab tests they have done, the testing protocol(temp ranges, number of cycles, number of failures etc) and the total number of items tested. Also; do they spot test, batch test, test each new supply of billet etc and ask for the results of the tests.

Everything mechanical has a point where it will fail. What is important is knowing how it might fail and how many out of large number will fail under certain conditions. Then the consumer can make the right call if concerned.

Back