Thomson

I was looking to buy a seatpost from Thomson recently and now reading this thread I don’t think I ll do so…

anyhow I always thought maybe mistakenly that seatposts are not worth excessive money since they are just a tube really. Ok they flex on your weight and pedalling power but still entry level seatposts have so far worked fine for me.

Apologies for the digression…good thing such threads show up here so we know what we’re buying some times.

The posts do seem to put up with unreasonable extension better than most. Pretty much the only other reason to get one is needing an odd size. I think they stopped making all the weird sizes, but it was either them or Kalloy for a long time. Cane creek has had shims for anything I've needed in the last ten years or so.

I also seem to recall messing up my seat position about 1000 times cleaning/greasing to get rid of creaks with the posts I had.

I've had a Thomson layback seatpost this was 2nd hand as it was for the ex's bike and that cracked on the bend..... I put it down to her fat arse though

Aluminium component last a lot (we have 30+ year old components and works all fine), so it is not fatigue or something, perhaps the alloy.

I have 3 components and all works fine. But my stems are 50mm and the seat post is the Masterpiece, perhaps diferent alloy.

Yeah, ran Thomson on most of my bikes since the 90's including downhill bikes and never had a problem.

Everything breaks, never really hear the majority of users posting about how good something is, it is always the few that are unfortunate.

Back