Thomson

Scarfacexxx08

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've ran a few Thomson parts over the years, but recently I've had a cracked seatpost and a cracked stem. Anyone had this on here?

Not had any breakages but have seen a couple examples of their posts being undersized and i have a post that I cannot get to stop creaking.

I'd love a 27.2 post that was undersized to the degree it was 27.0 😁

I've also bought a stem with a cracked face plate which I wasn't aware of, can't find a replacement anywhere.

Generally though, never had a problem with a Thompson product myself through use. Good kit imho.

Have used 3 of the seatposts from different time periods and they have been one inline and two setback without any problems. I have found though, with all three, that the radius on the bottom part of the saddle clamp does not match the radius that is in the top of the post.
It is easy to correct by clamping the post into the frame, without the saddle clamp bits, then stuff the top of the post with some rag/kitchen roll/underpants and take a large half round file(fine cut) to the radius, in the top of the post. It files really easily and you can get a very nice finish. Offer up the lower saddle clamp with a light source behind it all and you will see where you need to remove material. When done de-burr it and re-assemble.
I went all weightweenie on mine and use the bottom half of a USE saddle clamp(the half pipe bit), some round upper saddle clamps from a cracked 3T seatpost, and its all pulled together with some new titanium bolts, meant for an Exotic post.
Pretty naff tbh, if this radius difference is common, but although it looks like the two protrusions, for the bolts, might be stressed this doesn't seem to be where any of the boken posts, pictured on the net, have broken. They all seem to be the whole head shearing off, or snapping right above the frame, at the seat clamp.
Personally; i would not trust an internet random and his/her story about broken things. There are way too many sh!t stirring trolls and idiots out there to know who is telling the real story, or not, about breakages. Always best to get the skinny on parts from close contacts, or those close to them.

They used to have a high incidence of cracked faceplates and would replace them if asked.

I don't think they'll do it for 25.4mm versions though as they don't make them anymore. You can still find new replacement faceplates for 31.8mm bars.

This one is sitting waiting for the day when a wrecked stem with an unharmed faceplate appears . . .

z.jpeg

Hehehe
Yes I have.🤕
Both cracked.☹️
Here, I made a video about it:

What can I say? I guess I became a "Clydesdale" type rider without even realising it.😳
But honestly I was not that hard on the equipment.

Not even a weekend rider and the stuff broke. I was generally too busy for riding every weekend.
(thankfully I'm getting out more now though, most days)

Apparently the seatpost issue is/was due to differential thermal expansion (if you have left your bike in the shed, difference between daytime and nightly temperatures). Which leads to a kind of (I guess you could say thermal) fatigue cracking.

I won't be buying any more Thomson parts, forget it.
Even lowly kalloy makes stronger stuff, honestly...

I've gone with FSA seatposts now. And other stems like ITM or whatever.

Forging is stronger than machining (in terms of fatigue).

So I emailed Thomson and got this reply

We generally advise that components be replaced every 3-5 yrs based on usage as all metal is subject to fatigue, especially those with clamping pressure applied. Thermal expansion through the seasons and while in storage also affects the material (non climate controlled storage).

As the component is outside of the warranty time frame, I can only offer you a 50% discount off a replacement part (same model) through our webstore. We would just need you to send in the old part along with a copy of this email chain. Once received, the coupon code would be emailed to you. Coupons can not be used on clearance/refurbished items.

These stems are £70 and you're expected to change them 3-5 years! WHAT A JOKE

Back