The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

legrandefromage":2hpv3lz0 said:
I just bung em in and listen. Sometimes that works really well!

Sometimes...

I have been looking at these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-QTX-Sound ... SwH71eS0gv

Specs wise they are decent match:
8 inch
8 ohm
Composite cone
Rubber surround

The screw holes don't match, however there seem to be zero other 8 inch drivers with 6 holes in them so after testing I could re-drill them to a 6 hole pattern easily enough, the same goes for removing the compressed card/foam spacer surround on the outer rim of the speaker so I can replace it with the B&W grey rubber trim.

The big isssue is that I have no reference on frequency response and sensitivity of the old driver to even attempt a match.

This for me make them a bit of a wild punt. Although I guess I could send them back of they sound poop.

Carl.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yogi bear":13iv3h72 said:
These guys are worth talking to.

https://www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk/

They can possibly recone your original drivers (depending on driver).

Have used them before for this.

They were mentioned by the seller of the unit I bought too. Contacted them and they can't offer a re-build, I will have another try at contacting DC Boultons first I think.

There's a place in Shepherds Bush (Wembley Loudspeaker Co) I've taken drivers to in the past to be rebuilt but its not cheap so not sure if its suitable here.

I've used Wilmslow myself and can vouch for the service but again cost might be an issue, I have Wilmslow cabinets for the speakers in my main system so know their quality.

Others to consider are Falcon Acoustics and Henry's for replacement's or just keep an eye out on ebay but you have to keep in mind with all bass drivers that how much air they move and where it comes from (porting or closed cab) dictates how well they will work in a particular cabinet.

I've also used those QTX drivers in some 3 way speakers I built as a project and I have to say they worked very well indeed, certainly better than their cost suggested but then I might just have lucked into their sweetspot when it came to crossover and cabinet.

Re:

Jusr found a NAD 3020 BEE amp in the loft. What's it worth to anybody? I'm in Very North Yorkshire. Was hiding in an old Marantz box.

As there's been some comments about the hifi in the pictures in one of my bike build threads I thought I'd post a couple of pictures in the right place of two of my systems which I've been switching about during lockdown to decide what should stay and what should go.

System 1 is in my conservatory and is my unloved Japanese system which (apart from the speakers) has bits in it from the posh arms of Sharp, Toshiba and Sanyo. Back in the late 70's HiFi was very big business for Japanese manufacturers so the big conglomerations either started new brands or bought existing ones as names for their upper end kit. Toshiba had Aurex, Sanyo had Fisher, Sharp had Optonica and Panasonic had Technics which is the only name still properly in existence, Technics basically became the HiFi brand for Panasonic and so made everything from utter crap all the way up, Aurex sort of stayed about and is used very occasionally by Toshiba, Optonica disappeared completely and Fisher descended into making complete Black Plastic Crap but for a brief period they all made some absolutely stunning kit that just doesn't get the love it deserves today.

System 2 is in my workshop and is made up of obscure British cottage industry kit (apart from the Nakamichi tape deck), so from people like Kinshaw, Inca-Tech, Cambridge Audio (before the name was bought by Richer Sounds) and Lumley. Most of those names are long gone but there was a period where we produced some utterly world beating kit but these firms were in general run by engineers and not marketers and the HiFi press in the UK was pretty much paid for by a couple of the big names (well one in particular but others hung of it's coat tails) and anything that was a threat to their hype and image was just not given much of a chance so a lot of this kit is as rare as hens teeth.

Attachments

• HiFi-2.jpg
    HiFi-2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,128
  • HiFi-1.jpg
    HiFi-1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,128
And on that note time for a little quiz to relieve the boredom.

IMHO for a period the UK built by far and away the biggest variety of utterly superb turntables in the world and I do include the Scottish turntable in that list, so in this post I've added a few pictures of some of my obscure turntables, most are British but not all and some sold in quite big numbers but who can identify them all? Bonus points if you can identify all the arms as well.

Attachments

• Turntable-6.jpg
    Turntable-6.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,126
  • Turntable-5.jpg
    Turntable-5.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,126
  • Turntable-4.JPG
    Turntable-4.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 1,126
  • Turntable-3.JPG
    Turntable-3.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,126
  • Turntable-2.JPG
    Turntable-2.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,126
  • Turntable-1.JPG
    Turntable-1.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,126
  • Turntable-7.JPG
    Turntable-7.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 1,126
  • DSCF1010.JPG
    DSCF1010.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,126
Is there a Mission arm in there? Garrard 401 is pretty obvious, then A&R, Linn, SME arm? One TT looks like a Kenwood.

Have owned most of the bits you have at some point. I still have the Optonica cassette. The Videologic DAB tuner is in my garage.

Thankfully I never got the turntable bug although I do have a couple of Technics; 1510 and a 1410 for my own amusement.

As for Cambridge Audio - not really as much to do with Richer Sounds as you might think

But if you do want a nugget, Arcam are owned by Samsung, or they were the last time I spoke to the people I worked with.

Back