The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

legrandefromage":1oohz7xk said:
Didnt see any Thorenssssses?

I have a poorly TD-125 MK1 here if anyone is interested

Looking again I’m less sure... If they are, they’re heavily modified. Maybe a 150 and a 160 or similar... I might well be wrong!

About a year ago I was dead set on a Td125 but didn’t find one at the right price. I had one for years in my youth when they were not remotely desirable.

At the moment I’m trying to ween myself off the hobby...and have quite a few “projects” in storage going nowhere... but if it’s a bargain I might not be able to resist... drop me a pm.

legrandefromage":pn8amytx said:
Is there a Mission arm in there? Garrard 401 is pretty obvious, then A&R, Linn, SME arm? One TT looks like a Kenwood.

Have owned most of the bits you have at some point. I still have the Optonica cassette. The Videologic DAB tuner is in my garage.

Thankfully I never got the turntable bug although I do have a couple of Technics; 1510 and a 1410 for my own amusement.

As for Cambridge Audio - not really as much to do with Richer Sounds as you might think

But if you do want a nugget, Arcam are owned by Samsung, or they were the last time I spoke to the people I worked with.
C- at 50% I'm afraid, 401 yes and yes obvious really, AR yes, Linn no, SME no, Kenwood no, sort of on the Mission arm, its a Jelco which Mission did badge as their own as did quite a few others

Fair point on the Cambridge, yes nothing to do with Richers outside of the UK

Didn't know about Arcam but not surprised, gotta pay the bills.

Captain Stupido":pn8amytx said:
I spy... a Source, Manticore mantra, cj Walker/oak?, modded thorens or 2, 2 or 3 pink triangles, an ar, a kenwood and a garrard 401.
Another C-, well done on the Source and that Mantra usually catches people out as it doesn't have a big green or red button on it, neither a C.J. Walker or an Oak in there, your second go is correct no Thorens at all, yes 2 Pinks (my turntables of choice), yes on the AR, no on the Kenwood and yes on the 401.

Now the arm on the 401, not anywhere on any hifi forum I've been on can anyone tell me what it is, I think its either home or small workshop made (done as a private or lunchtime job). It came on a connoisseur BD2 that's long since gone, I'm guessing at late 60's, has turned, cast and milled parts and is a really nice thing but completely unidentifiable as far as I can see.

legrandefromage":45kp40ji said:
I still have the Optonica cassette.

They multiply if you let them.

And if yours doesn't work anymore you can get the belts and rubber drive tyres for them now and someone is now 3D printing the drive cog that disintegrates so they are now fixable.

Attachments

• DSCF3108.JPG
    DSCF3108.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,101
A few more British TTs (and one Japanese)

49919988148_f4597d9778_c.jpg

49919988278_946f811c2c_b.jpg

49920524381_703f51b812_b.jpg

Re:

Not in the same league as these Turntables but I have a Dual CS505 that's going free if anyone fancies a little project.

It needs a belt/grease up and has a small crack in the cover/plexiglass.

Anyone have a good home for 2x 3.5m NAIM NAC-A5?

1 side is fully terminated the other (for life of me I cannot remember why) had the speaker direction banana plugs removed.

Happy surprise find whilst searching the loft for an old headset!

howlindawg":3qhpj73u said:
A few more British TTs (and one Japanese)
Very nice, A Townshend fan then I take it?

legrandefromage":3qhpj73u said:
The 'garage'
That looks scarily familiar, more than a passing resemblance to under my bench on my workshop

Back