Paint Spraying ... How To (part 1)

Thanks for the comments chaps. Glad the thread is provoking discussion. I've amended my post slightly :)

As I said, it's not a definitive guide ... And your views are methods are more than welcome

@intergespin, yeah get those pics up mate :)

Some orange handlebars, not sure painted bars is a good idea.
Putting the bars in those stems was a delicate operation.

Attachments

• orange-bars.jpg
    orange-bars.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 257
integerspin":2h8380pp said:
Putting the bars in those stems was a delicate operation.

Yeah, I'd been thinking about this... I assume you put plenty of wax on them and wedge open the clamp open.

Re:

Nice write, fantastic.

Always wanted to do a bit of spraying but in practice I'm pretty crap at it.

Signing up for further updates...

Re: Re:

paddy311":vyj01wfn said:
Good write up :)

Hopefully some constructive criticism won't offend ?

You need to make more of a key before laying the primer on. The 1000 grit you used is way too fine to get a good key. Personally on that fork I would have gone with 80 grit first to get through the rust damage, then 120 or 150 tops before the etch primer. It will look rough - but it needs to be or the whole paint job will just flake off in big pieces later on. That would be a big pisser as the rest of the job you did looks good and well done.

Sorry :facepalm:

Aerosol priming over 120 150 grit would need a hell of a lot of coats to cover and then it'd prob sink later on and you'll see the scratches through the top coat. I wouldn't go harsher than 400 personally possibly 320. I do however agree 1000 is too fine.

kyle888":33mp44k1 said:
Aerosol priming over 120 150 grit would need a hell of a lot of coats to cover and then it'd prob sink later on and you'll see the scratches through the top coat. I wouldn't go harsher than 400 personally possibly 320. I do however agree 1000 is too fine.

One coat of the high build primer filled those massive deep rust craters in this case - it would easily fill the sanding marks from 120.
Happy to admit I do use a coarser grit than most people on bare metal though. Personal choice innit :)

paddy311":269e2vj2 said:
kyle888":269e2vj2 said:

One coat of the high build primer filled those massive deep rust craters in this case - it would easily fill the sanding marks from 120.
Happy to admit I do use a coarser grit than most people on bare metal though. Personal choice innit :)

He didn't say one coat? Aerosol high build over 120 is quite laughable. I wouldn't even 2k high build over that!

Latest posts

Back