The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

It 'sounds' ok, I'd rather find the cd transport or a working DVD32r.

The amplifier belonged to a Peter Stevens, its nice that its stayed within the family as it were.

flash":2y7avcrw said:
I've just found this thread, my set up's been that way for years. Very pleased with it. Kept swapping bits til it sounded great....
Nice system, I do love Electrostatics and they realy should be valve driven but what stopped you running a valve pre with your CD?

I'm a big valve fan myself so everything in the amplification chain is valve in my system, phono stage, pre amp, active crossover, power amps and even my CD player and tuner have valve output stages in them, so there's plenty of glowing bottles when I listen to music.

I've been pretty set with whats in mine for a good few years now but it doesn't stop me having a little swap about every now and then, although I do usually gravitate back to the same core components.

legrandfromage will probably be pleased to hear I do have a couple of completely solid state systems in the house and one of them contains some pre and post Tag as both bits are badged Audiolab.

legrandefromage":2y7avcrw said:
It 'sounds' ok, I'd rather find the cd transport or a working DVD32r.

The amplifier belonged to a Peter Stevens, its nice that its stayed within the family as it were.
Do you know what's wrong with the display? Its probably not a difficult fix (loose connection or the backlight spring to mind) or is it just not worth the bother to you?

legrandefromage":221ayznv said:
Cool! I have that CD player too and a later Quad 44 but dont like valves!

I'm still using the 405 I bought off you many years ago (albeit not that much like it left Quad) with an A&R C200 with MC and MM cards fitted, a bunch of home built decks, a Sony SACD and a Marantz pro CD, and some dinky Q Acoustics speakers.

Just bought myself the best headphones I've ever owned - Shure SRH1540s.

Re:

I’m original owner of Ion Obelisk 1, the original Powys company, a wonderful small amp. It cost about 120 pounds in 1990. Right side output recently smoked and died. Took off the lid and found some cooked toffees. Asked around, found a company, they quoted over 400 pounds to fix it.
Thought about having a go myself to replace the burned components and see if it works. I’m an ex-automotive electrician but don’t have experience in diagnosing or measuring electronic circuits.
Is this a good idea to try? Or need to give to an expert? Not sure if any circuit diagrams exist anymore.
I have a newer and more powerful amp but prefer the sound of the Ion.

Attachments

• 199DB190-4442-4D1E-A251-075A5E0A8B7C.jpeg
    199DB190-4442-4D1E-A251-075A5E0A8B7C.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 1,340
^ If you can wield a soldering iron, that should be fixable with little expertise and test equipment.

Your issue will be to ID the toasted parts, but since there should be symmetry between the L & R channel
you should be in with a chance. Use the web to find equivalent parts. The small black potentiometer (Vr2) may
be there to provide a DC bias so a multimeter / oscilloscope would be useful.

Replacing components (even if you are unsure what they do) can go along way. Get the channel working,
then likewise update the other channel with the same newer components too.

£400 is way too steep IMHO.

expensive quote! I had a large JVC go pop and it was £90 all in

if you can find member Apache on here, he may be able to help. He is also North Hill Audio on face book

Re:

Hi chap. I've sort of retired from Facebook for a while due to the weight of assholes.

Have you looked at hifi engine for a circuit diagram?

Back