The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

Captain Stupido":2rukz149 said:
Andy B":2rukz149 said:
Anyone got any opinions on the Linn Classik mk1?

I’ve been offered one and the online reviews were good

What do the forum’s fonts of hifi knowledge think of them?

I remember being unimpressed when they were new (my Dad bought one - he liked it well enough but didn't keep it all that long). Plasticky build and so-so sound. Looking at what they sell for now I'd pass. Better to buy a decent amp and plug a chromecast in I'd say.
I'm always wary when offering an opinion on Linn kit in general as it's akin to a religious cult in some quarters but that would be my assessment of pretty much every Linn product I've ever owned, and the ones I have liked the sound of have generated me far more money when I've sold them than I consider they are worth so none of it hangs around long with me now.
A bit of research and some shopping around for a used amp, speakers and streamer should easily net you a lot nicer sound for less money.

Well I got it and it’s a lot better sound than my old set up, much cleaner bass and crisper treble

As a bonus I got it cheaper than they are listed for on eBay and some half decent speaker cable thrown in too

Just need a phono box, got my eye on the rega fono mini a2d as it gets good reviews for the money

That will have to wait as I’ve just had to buy car tyres for it’s mot :evil:

Re:

Funny about the Classic - I've just acquired one too at a bargain price :D

Sounds fine in all respects but I'm wondering about power output as sometimes gives the impression of being underpowered. Spec is 75wpc into 4 ohms.

Speakers I'm currently using have 60W/4ohm minimum amp requirement.

this model.... https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/images/f/f ... t_info.pdf

Power amp can be connected so think I'll drag me Rotel black box out and see how that affects things :xmas-big-grin:

Thats only about 37 - 40 watts into an 8 Ohm load and if your 60w speakers are not very efficient they wont sound 'loud' either

It doesnt say what the voltage out from the pre-amp

I have a nice TAG McLaren pre-amp for sale... :facepalm: :mrgreen:

legrandefromage":izmjpde6 said:
Thats only about 37 - 40 watts into an 8 Ohm load and if your 60w speakers are not very efficient they wont sound 'loud' either

That's sort of what I thought ie about halving the power......but the speakers, Linn Keilidhs, are rated at 4ohm with a 92dB efficiency.

Just sounds a bit "less" than what I've been listening to recently which is a 1970s Pioneer amp coupled with Rotel power unit using the same speakers. Is it because this amp setup is rated at 50wpc into 8ohm hence the 4ohm Keilidhs "see" a doubling of power up to nearly 100W?

The Pioneer/Rotel combo is loud at 50% volume and the Classik needs set at around 80% volume to get similar levels of earbashing.....not that I play at those levels often

I should really stop all this messing about and start some home improvements!

My current home office :D

Attachments

• homeoffice.jpg
    homeoffice.jpg
    998.6 KB · Views: 682
legrandefromage":cvcjsqm8 said:
Its all in the currents apparently
Yep and its why valve watts are louder then transistor watts for a much lower wattage value.

allenh":zsjr0uv5 said:
Captain Stupido":zsjr0uv5 said:
Andy B":zsjr0uv5 said:
Anyone got any opinions on the Linn Classik mk1?

I’ve been offered one and the online reviews were good

What do the forum’s fonts of hifi knowledge think of them?

I remember being unimpressed when they were new (my Dad bought one - he liked it well enough but didn't keep it all that long). Plasticky build and so-so sound. Looking at what they sell for now I'd pass. Better to buy a decent amp and plug a chromecast in I'd say.
I'm always wary when offering an opinion on Linn kit in general as it's akin to a religious cult in some quarters but that would be my assessment of pretty much every Linn product I've ever owned, and the ones I have liked the sound of have generated me far more money when I've sold them than I consider they are worth so none of it hangs around long with me now.
A bit of research and some shopping around for a used amp, speakers and streamer should easily net you a lot nicer sound for less money.

The LP12 (originally sold as the Ariston RD11, but that's another story) was a smart update of Thorens / AR's suspended turntable design and by the mid 80s it was simply quite a bit better than most of the competition. It built Linn's reputation and was consistently updated to remain competitive. They were also very clever at marketing. Which is a polite way of putting it. Other than the LP12 they have made a few decent bits of kit, some not so good. Their amps and speakers were usually designed to compliment the character of the LP12 so a complete Linn system ought to "sing" - but might not make the most of other components.

The Classik was their attempt at a compact budget system - a sort of upmarket Denon micro system competitor. They aren't bad but for me they sit somewhere between real hi-fi and mass-market audio. They probably do have a bit more musicality / "PRAT" than an equivalent Denon but compared to "proper" hi-fi e.g. the Pioneer and Rotel combo mentioned above they are outclassed in terms of sheer quality.

It's a bit of fun. I wouldn't keep one for too long because I'd be expecting it to go faulty. LGF is probably right about the electronics, but more importantly IMO the CD mechanism is a cheap and nasty one, and working ones are probably on borrowed time by now...

Back