The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

“It’s completely beyond my understanding. But if I take it away from him, he will lose the motivation to live.”

My former employer used to recommend a separate ring mains for the hifi so you'd get rid of noise from washing machines and other big switching devices.

Re:

My former employer used to recommend a separate ring mains for the hifi so you'd get rid of noise from washing machines and other big switching devices.

I've had some positive experiences with mains filtering devices.

I built some plug-in parallel filters, similar to those you can purchase from Russ Andrews: http://www.russandrews.com/mains-zapperators/ and the like; I built five of these for around £20.00 including the plug cases:

Filter03.jpg

I also used an ISOL-8 mains filter and added some additional isolation transformers and mains filters to it:

Mains1.jpg

Re:

Got given this as payment from a mate for me fitting a new radiator in his Alfa today, a Sharp GF-9191... it looks nice, radio works and sounds sweet!

Needs a strip-down and a good clean, but it's in great condition for a 1978/79 machine! :cool:

Attachments

• 9191c.jpg
    9191c.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 497
  • 9191b.jpg
    9191b.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 497
  • 9191a.jpg
    9191a.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 497
Re:

just stopped since i got home at five! :)
stripped it down, cleaned it up, put it back together and it's come up a treat! :cool:
everything works, even got the counter working again, but unfortunately it eats tapes!
the motors all work, it just starts winding the tape up inside and stops playing.
could probably do with some new belts and a clean of the pinch rollers, although my knowledge of cassette mechanisms and how to bring them back to tip-top isn't great! :oops:
anyway, very satisfying to make it look healthy again, Jo Whiley sounds sweet on it!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 477
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 477
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 477
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 477
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 477
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 477
Been sorting out my stiffness. The shelf was a bit boingy so got hold of some decent cast alloy brackets. Bit over the top but £15 versus Rega wall mount was a bargain. I could sit on this.

Re:

Hi LGF

Have you got a big ballsy amp no finesse just big sound, got a Sony direct drive turntable and a Marantz twin deck. Was using a Technics class A amp, just got some Mission speakers and the amp is okay with one and okay if I have it on very quiet but turn it up and it trips the computer drive. Mostly use it for listening to my Deep Purple, AC-DC, Rainbow vinyl. :facepalm:

Back