The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

Re:

Definitely a Thorens, you can just about make out the logo on the headshell in one shot.

Re: Thought I'd say Hi....

Love old stuff...my wife accuses me of living in the past. Love older bikes, watches, cameras and hifi. Turntables and valves in particular. (Though one of my Rogue power amps decided to go up in flames, so I'm using Quad QMP monos. Valve phono-built by me, and heavily modded ARC pre). I'm lucky as she is fairly tolerate of my fads....just asks which one Im moving on to next month :facepalm:
Anyway good to find this part of the forum. The man cave as she calls it (you should see the attic!)

legrandefromage":3qcxf2b6 said:
got loads a stuff to sell/ swap!

Now you tell me. :facepalm:

As you know, but they dont, just got hold of some of my old vinyl but had nothing. So. Now.

Rega RP1, Cyrus 1, TDL Nucleus 1.

Mordaunt Short Pageant Series 2 incoming tomorrow to open it up a bit.

I must say the Cyrus is the biggest revelation. I still had a Nad 320BEE and an old sony CDPI was using with the TDLs. Listening to a new copy of Kind of Blue I've been given as I type. Wonderful.

To my old ears this is all i'll ever need

Unless you know different? ;)

Roy Harper was HERE this morning.

Re:

Hi all, I'm after some hifi related advice.

All my music at home is on CD so my system is fairly simple, I've got an early 90's amp that has the CD player and TV connected to it via the rear phono sockets.

Recently I've taken to listening to old school music mixes on mixcloud on my smart phone as I work, courtesy of my employers site wide Wi-Fi.

I'm quite taken with the whole shebang and wondered if there is a piece of kit that I can connect to my stereo that will allow me to listen to internet music using my Wi-Fi at home?.

If anyone has any suggestions of how to achieve this they'd be gratefully received. Cheers Matt

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Spare input and a phono to mini headphone jack is what use for iPod and computer to amp. Very low fi but works.

That was my only possible sensible input for this thread. Amazing it came so soon.

Back to knowing nothing.

iPod headphone socket is awful, best off using the output from the dock - it comes via the Burr/ Brown DACs in the ipod

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iPod-30 ... SwTZ1Xn7g5

Wifi/ bluetooth needs to be lossless due to other methods compressing the audio to beyond listenable.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Ah, sounds a bit more complex than I was hoping, I thought there might be a stand-alone component that would do it all when connected to the hifi and WiFi, never mind I'm sure one will be along shortly! :D . Cheers Matt

Back