The faded Caramel beast......'82 Raleigh Gran Sport

You might have more fun stripping the anodising off rather than sanding it all back.
@yakboy has had plenty of practice at this.

Ooooo...that comment has just sparked some distant memories of playing with oven cleaner to strip anodise when I used to mess about with mtb parts about 10 years ago.......is that still the preferred method?

Might have to dig out the Mr Muscle later and have a go with it.........

Had a rummage in the cleaning cupboard at home last night and dug out the oven cleaner......

K4yzG4El.jpg

oKkdalzl.jpg

Anodising stripped nicely ready for either full on polish or some sort of brushed finish (if I can achieve it well enough).

Wa1hao7l.jpg

All the other brake lever parts in the ultrasonic cleaner to prep them for re-assembly....

Hx7giURl.jpg

Had a rummage in the cleaning cupboard at home last night and dug out the oven cleaner......

K4yzG4El.jpg

oKkdalzl.jpg

Anodising stripped nicely ready for either full on polish or some sort of brushed finish (if I can achieve it well enough).

Wa1hao7l.jpg

All the other brake lever parts in the ultrasonic cleaner to prep them for re-assembly....

Hx7giURl.jpg
That US cleaner looks a handy size. Where did you get it from?

That US cleaner looks a handy size. Where did you get it from?
Good old / bad old Amazon. (Depending on your viewpoint).

Relatively cheap for what it is - had it bought for me as a pressie - primarily for doing this type of work......

BFGgXpnl.jpg

Thought I'd give it a whirl with the smaller bike parts. Watching the grime float off in clouds is quite mesmerising......especially on a 50 year old watch bracelet. (The thought of it being 50 years of dead skin flakes is a little disturbing) :LOL:

Good old / bad old Amazon. (Depending on your viewpoint).

Relatively cheap for what it is - had it bought for me as a pressie - primarily for doing this type of work......

BFGgXpnl.jpg

Thought I'd give it a whirl with the smaller bike parts. Watching the grime float off in clouds is quite mesmerising......especially on a 50 year old watch bracelet. (The thought of it being 50 years of dead skin flakes is a little disturbing) :LOL:
Ahh! No wonder you do such good, precision work. Especially getting seat posts out.

Ahh! No wonder you do such good, precision work. Especially getting seat posts out.
Haven't delved into rebuilding watch movements quite yet - just the stuff around them........cases, hands etc. Working on something as small as a watch movement is bonkers......and amazing that all those parts function for years sat on your wrist. I find them fascinating......

Attempted a light brushed finish on the first brake lever (that was the worst one)........still needs a bit more effort to blend out a few deeper scratches but I'm counting that as a win.

VZ8M7yul.jpg

4fI8IGVl.jpg

eaPFMgjl.jpg

Sadly I noticed that the nipple barrel on the other lever has a crack in it too which is disappointing. I was lucky to source the first.......wonder if I can find another?

Great job on your lever refurb, always rewarding to bring battered parts back from the dead so to speak! Good luck finding another barrel, not a part you want to snap in two as you brake heavily!

So.... failed in the quest for finding another brake nipple barrel, and as it was holding up build progress I got one made.

UZYU8twl.jpg

AtSVKnGl.jpg

KbtgV1Ql.jpg

Pressed into the lever - seems to work well. Both levers cleaned up and built up ready to fit.

Next - the derailleurs! Filth.

OiATNcYl.jpg

f9PHGhdl.jpg

So.... failed in the quest for finding another brake nipple barrel, and as it was holding up build progress I got one made.

UZYU8twl.jpg

AtSVKnGl.jpg

KbtgV1Ql.jpg

Pressed into the lever - seems to work well. Both levers cleaned up and built up ready to fit.

Next - the derailleurs! Filth.

OiATNcYl.jpg

f9PHGhdl.jpg
Time for another tin of elbow grease methinks.

Back