The faded Caramel beast......'82 Raleigh Gran Sport

A few up close pics of the chrome.

Overall, really pleased......

R9l8616l.jpg

VtF8vJGl.jpg

EuCz3HTl.jpg

sk66Er6l.jpg

Top job.

To save watching yet more Repair Shop videos, can you name the firm please? I may need their help with my latest mission impossible.
Hockley Enterprises in Southend.

Here's the vid if you fancy some more Dom from Repair Shop content.......

Hockley Enterprises in Southend.

Here's the vid if you fancy some more Dom from Repair Shop content.......

No thanks. I hate it when they milk it for what it's worth until they get the desired effect i. e. the poor sops cry. Steve's the worst of 'em.

Just back after a week away in sunny Norfolk - keen to keep up the momentum with this build so I dug the box-o-bits out of the shed and started picking off the low hanging fruit.

Cleaned up and fitted the Campagnolo downtube shifters.

pcve4sll.jpg

Cleaned and reassembled the Gran Sport cranks - and fitted to the bike.

T7KpXEsl.jpg

Dug out the rear wheel, seat and found the missing parts of the Campag seat post. Rear wheel needs stripping, polishing and re-spoking with butted stainless spokes as per the front wheel. Feel like that will be a project in it's own right so I've just placed it in the frame for now.....

That's just an inner tube on the front too - although I have just ordered some 700c x 20 tyres for it. Super skinny......may be a silly mistake going that skinny, we'll see.

YABZJe0l.jpg

OpvoFSJl.jpg

Nothing wrong with 700x20,gets you back to 1982 ! :)
Well they arrived today.......reckon it was the right choice. Certainly look the part - be interesting to see how they roll. :)

LJuiO6hl.jpg

Cleaned up the corroded hardware parts of the front caliper and pads and refitted.

3fgUh7Pl.jpg

Need to turn my attention to the levers......which have seen better days it has to be said. Some proper rash and scuffing down the side of one lever especially....

AJ9An13l.jpg

5LhehcVl.jpg

Anyone know how to properly address this? Can't quite work out the finish - they're not a shiny polished finished so I assume a light bead blast and anodised? Or plated? The finish is really hard too - I can't really make a dent in it with 400 grit paper - was hoping I could at least polish out the worst of the scuffs and then leave as a polished finish.

Started to break the levers down to sort out the rash - and I noticed that one of the barrels that the brake nipple locates in was cracked (both levers generally a bit corroded too).

In the process of pressing it out (I think it would've originally been peened over in production?) it broke in two.

AI0GHv7l.jpg

Zak73f4l.jpg

A wanted ad on this very forum has yielded a result and a replacement barrel landed on my desk this morning - cheers to @jim haseltine

Anyway - replacement barrel pressed in and a start made on removing the rash......starting with a small file and then working through the grades of paper.......carefully avoiding the Campagnolo logo of course. (one scratch passing through the "O"

Before / after

5LhehcVl.jpg

kUQiIAVl.jpg

Obviously I've gone through the protective anodised finish to do this - but hey.....it's a million times better than it was. Might have to sand off all the anodise and go for a brushed finish to get it to blend in though......

Started to break the levers down to sort out the rash - and I noticed that one of the barrels that the brake nipple locates in was cracked (both levers generally a bit corroded too).

In the process of pressing it out (I think it would've originally been peened over in production?) it broke in two.

AI0GHv7l.jpg

Zak73f4l.jpg

A wanted ad on this very forum has yielded a result and a replacement barrel landed on my desk this morning - cheers to @jim haseltine

Anyway - replacement barrel pressed in and a start made on removing the rash......starting with a small file and then working through the grades of paper.......carefully avoiding the Campagnolo logo of course. (one scratch passing through the "O"

Before / after

5LhehcVl.jpg

kUQiIAVl.jpg

Obviously I've gone through the protective anodised finish to do this - but hey.....it's a million times better than it was. Might have to sand off all the anodise and go for a brushed finish to get it to blend in though......
You might have more fun stripping the anodising off rather than sanding it all back.
@yakboy has had plenty of practice at this.

Back