Raleigh Lenton 1950 restomod

Mark Manley

Raleigh Fan
A couple of years ago I was in my local bike shop when my friend who owns it said that there was a rusty old Raleigh out the back that I was welcome to but if I did not take it that day the scrapman would be taking it the next, how could I resist? Luckily I was on my motorbike and had some straps so home it came.

IMG_0323 - Copy.JPG

On taking it apart I realised just about everything was toast including unfortuntely the SA 4 speed hub which was a lump of rust inside so most of it ended up in a skip anyway but the frame and forks were still solid which I kept while I considered their future.

There was a little too much patina for my taste and rather than keep it original I opted for a dark red colour with Lenton Clubman decals, sprayed with aerosols it passes the 6' test and looks ok at 3', in my opinion anyway. I already have a collection of Sakae Ringyo components mostly bought in poor condition and brought back to life on my polishing wheel and the shop it came from supplied me with a nos Shimano 3 speed hub, headset and Bluemels mudguards.

IMG_2400 - Copy.JPG

The colour scheme is inspired by the Raleigh Trent of the 1960s which I find quite pleasing, the white on the headtube is wrap rather than paint so is easily removed If I get the urge. It should really have white wall tyres but I used what I had and if anyone has a Raleigh number 1, 16" pump in white they would like to sell please get in touch and the correct length mudguard stays are on their way which will allow use of the original mounts.

I do like the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub but find the Shimano which has the same ratios to be a lot smoother when changing gear, due to copyright it does apparently have completely different internals to the SA. There is a Brook rack to go on it but it needs blasting and painting to match first.

And the spec sheet.

Frame: Raleigh Lenton 531 21"

Fork: Raleigh 531

Headset: Raleigh nos
Stem: Sakae Ringyo
Handlebar: Sakae Ringyo riser

Brake Levers: Raleigh nos
Brake Calipers: Weinmann 500
Brake Pads: Weinmann

Shifter: Shimano
Chain: Sunrace
Cranks: Sakae Ringyo Apex 170mm
Chainring: Sakae Ringyo 36T
Bottom Bracket: Raleigh
Pedals: Raleigh nos
Chainguard: Raleigh

Rims: Rigida 26 x 1 3/8 36 spokes
Front hub: Sakae Ringyo
Rear hub: Shimano 3 speed nos
Hub Skewer: Sakae Ringyo
Tyres: Raleigh branded
Mudguards: Bluemels Lightweight

Saddle: Brooks
Seatpost: Sakae Ringyo 25.4mm

Extras: Lion bell and a Brooks rack to be fitted

Weight: 12KG (originally 17KG)

A couple of years ago I was in my local bike shop when my friend who owns it said that there was a rusty old Raleigh out the back that I was welcome to but if I did not take it that day the scrapman would be taking it the next, how could I resist? Luckily I was on my motorbike and had some straps so home it came.

View attachment 752247

On taking it apart I realised just about everything was toast including unfortuntely the SA 4 speed hub which was a lump of rust inside so most of it ended up in a skip anyway but the frame and forks were still solid which I kept while I considered their future.

There was a little too much patina for my taste and rather than keep it original I opted for a dark red colour with Lenton Clubman decals, sprayed with aerosols it passes the 6' test and looks ok at 3', in my opinion anyway. I already have a collection of Sakae Ringyo components mostly bought in poor condition and brought back to life on my polishing wheel and the shop it came from supplied me with a nos Shimano 3 speed hub, headset and Bluemels mudguards.

View attachment 752252

The colour scheme is inspired by the Raleigh Trent of the 1960s which I find quite pleasing, the white on the headtube is wrap rather than paint so is easily removed If I get the urge. It should really have white wall tyres but I used what I had and if anyone has a Raleigh number 1, 16" pump in white they would like to sell please get in touch and the correct length mudguard stays are on their way which will allow use of the original mounts.

I do like the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub but find the Shimano which has the same ratios to be a lot smoother when changing gear, due to copyright it does apparently have completely different internals to the SA. There is a Brook rack to go on it but it needs blasting and painting to match first.

And the spec sheet.

Frame: Raleigh Lenton 531 21"

Fork: Raleigh 531

Headset: Raleigh nos
Stem: Sakae Ringyo
Handlebar: Sakae Ringyo riser

Brake Levers: Raleigh nos
Brake Calipers: Weinmann 500
Brake Pads: Weinmann

Shifter: Shimano
Chain: Sunrace
Cranks: Sakae Ringyo Apex 170mm
Chainring: Sakae Ringyo 36T
Bottom Bracket: Raleigh
Pedals: Raleigh nos
Chainguard: Raleigh

Rims: Rigida 26 x 1 3/8 36 spokes
Front hub: Sakae Ringyo
Rear hub: Shimano 3 speed nos
Hub Skewer: Sakae Ringyo
Tyres: Raleigh branded
Mudguards: Bluemels Lightweight

Saddle: Brooks
Seatpost: Sakae Ringyo 25.4mm

Extras: Lion bell and a Brooks rack to be fitted

Weight: 12KG (originally 17KG)
A perfect light touch job. Lovely.

Ahh! Hands up all those who road a Trent Tourist bitd. After a couple of years hacking around on mother's 1930s sit up and beg - with a basket - mine arrived (2nd hand of course) when I went up to grammar school. Blimey, there's hardly a road or street in this *Fine City" that I haven't traversed on that bike. Opened up a whole new world. Sorry all, I've just been bitten by the nostalgia bug!

Ahh! Hands up all those who road a Trent Tourist bitd. After a couple of years hacking around on mother's 1930s sit up and beg - with a basket - mine arrived (2nd hand of course) when I went up to grammar school. Blimey, there's hardly a road or street in this *Fine City" that I haven't traversed on that bike. Opened up a whole new world. Sorry all, I've just been bitten by the nostalgia bug!

A friend had spoken fondly about the Trent he had owned as a teenager which inspired me to look them up and I thought that is what the Lenton should look like.

This bike actually came from Soanes Cycles in Colyton which has been there a long time and a lot of that in the same family, yesterday I was looking on Ebay for a period correct Adie bell for it and found this one, I am not sure if S J Soanes is Sid's father or grandfather but a good find and could not be more suitable.

IMG_3072 - Copy.JPG

Back