The faded Caramel beast......'82 Raleigh Gran Sport

Something quite satisfying about stripping / rebuilding these Campagnolo mechs. Couldn't resist a component photo too......

Cs0tHscl.jpg

Before/After:

OiATNcYl.jpg

zHfDm7xl.jpg

f9PHGhdl.jpg

Qvifqlll.jpg

I've just enjoyed going through this thread – one of the classiest Raleigh models I've seen, I must say, and great attention to detail on the build.

Going back to the question of the 20c tyres, I was a bit apprehensive myself when I had to go skinny (also Dynamic Classics) due to some very tight clearances on a frame. They've turned out to be totally fine, and I can't notice any difference with the 23c ones on a different steel bike in terms of how they feel on the road. Obviously it depends on a few factors like the rider/tyre pressure, etc, but I suspect on a well made bike from the right era, it shouldn't be an issue. After-all, it was fairly standard back in the day...

Finally got my shizzle together and bolted this all back together........and took it out for a ride this morning. Being honest - it's been together for a few months now - I mostly finished it off over the winter but have been waiting for the better weather to come before test riding.

5 1/2 miles to work this morning........didn't disappoint. What. a. bike!

HDsILrdh.jpg

Qj5m8W7h.jpg

uMWU5sch.jpg

oVXsYxJh.jpg

Really impressive work on this. I figure a good project bike requires that you buy at least one new tool, right? Looks like this one fits the bill. I have a 70s era Raleigh Grand Sport I'm working on but it doesn't have the issues you had to deal with.

Latest posts

Back