Tell me about 2 x 10 or 1x10

Well sadly the chainset I bought has not materialised and a case opened with ebay. I have however just bought a new race face turbine 386 affair, so will be giving that a go. Not sure whether it will be 2x10 or 1x10 yet. Also not sure how it can have an outer chain ring with 39.5 teeth but I guess I'll find out what the half tooth is all about when it arrives.

Can I use a standard 3x front mech/shifter but only use 1 click if I go 2x? I'm assuming so with the use of limit screws etc.

Re:

Yes, just wind in the upper limit screw. Just dropped the outer ring on a hardtail I've bought and done exactly this.

Yes, i ran a 2x9 on a sram 3x9 system doing just the above :cool: though i limited to the outer and middle and did away with the granny.As you know, you would normally drop to the middle ring wit the chain half way up the cogs, middle/outer i think it sits better in the smallest cog without rattling

Re:

If you already have a triple in your fleet why not lock out the big and granny rings with the F.M. stop screws? After riding for a while in the middle on the front and seeking out the steepest ups and downs in your local area you'll know whether 1 X 10 or 2 X 10 is right for you, [or indeed 3 X 10]. By then you'll know if you will need a cassette expander too.

I Have 1 X 10 [26"] and 1 X 11 [29"] in the fleet. At first I thought the low gear was too tall for me, but it's a bit like single speeding, if you keep at it you will get fitter. The price I pay for the simplicity, lower weight and [in my opinion] cleaner looks is that I spin out on long descents.

Oh, and I find oval chain rings help too.

Good luck with whatever you choose and looking forward to the pics.

Back