TdF 2017 chit-chat

firedfromthecircus":2xmu068l said:
I don't think that was a dirty or deliberate move, just defending himself in the heat of battle. Possible he had just had a tangle with Greipel on his left that set him moving right.

That is not a natural arm position for a rider in a sprint.

The big question is if Cavendish was already falling before Sagan hit him. There seems to be some discussion about that.

Some more footage :

https://streamable.com/s/j7gqb/yhlwmq

IMO it's obvious : Sagan moved to the right to pass, but Cavendish was already on that line. He hit Cavendish and then tried to push him into the barrier with his elbow. Whether or not the elbow actually caused the fall isn't really relevant, the intent is clear.

Attachments

• 0025m.jpg
    0025m.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 530
Re:

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that Sagan was a bit naughty but to disqualify him seems extremely harsh for what is a fairly common occurrence and par de course.

The fact Griepel almost came a cropper for the same deviation of line demonstates the inconsistent application of the rules.

Re:

You have to see the aerial video to understand why Sagan was disqualified. You can't see it properly from the ground or head on. The disqualification also clearly demonstrates that Sagan's behaviour – the elbow – is unacceptable in the sport. It's a shame he needlessly wiped out Cavendish. And it's a shame they're both out of the game.

Re:

the tour will be worse without Sagan from a spectator/showmanship aspect. And Cav too, but that wasn't an organiser's decision.

Much as I love him, Cav tries for non existent gaps - his want to win far exceeds his rational brain .... and in saying that there's a compliment in there

Cav hadn't quite got the wheel of the French guy in front - there was a gap and Sagan went to fill it. Cav then tried to squeeze Sagan. you could almost argue Cav was running up the back of Sagan who used an elbow to keep him at bay.

I dunno - my view is Cav is more to blame for the crash due to his over enthusiasm, but I wasn't actually riding so who knows

that's sprinting, that's why sprinters are the gladiators of cycling and are perhaps the most celebrated riders by the public

Re:

Because of his previous shoulder injury, I don't think Cav's got the full grunt to pull off any cheeky manoeuvres in the sprint. Wonder if this one will retire him? From the aerial shots, Sagan was already squeezing Cav off the road before he then used the elbow. I'm hoping Sagan learns from this, as he will be missed – for sure.

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":2mdbl5m9 said:
You have to see the aerial video to understand why Sagan was disqualified. You can't see it properly from the ground or head on. The disqualification also clearly demonstrates that Sagan's behaviour – the elbow – is unacceptable in the sport. It's a shame he needlessly wiped out Cavendish. And it's a shame they're both out of the game.

+1 Such a shame for both. The TDF was really hotting up this year.

Re:

+1, I love it too.

The irony is that my missus (a non-cyclist) is at home watching the live coverage and texting me updates and I'm stuck in a lovely air conditioned office with a hot iMac in Wimbly Wombledon :cry:

Re:

It's a harsh decision, I'm not convinced it was a deliberate elbow by Sagan that put Cav down, but I'm not the one making the decision.
I would have liked to have seen Cav give as good as he got, seemed like he went down too easily for me.

Whatever, it's a shame to lose such characters from le Tour.

Re:

I missed something....how did Froome get in yellow already?

Was he in a break away?

Back