TdF 2017 chit-chat

pigman":161t9r64 said:
Matthews won the lottery that tour. Never in a million years was he a true green-jersey winner, as half a dozen weren't there to the finish, but good luck to him - the records will show what they show

Sure, Sagan was looking in great form, and had he not been kicked out (unfairly IMHO) then he would probably have won green again, but. Mathews was closing in on Kittel and the old adage 'To finish first, first you have to finish!' has never been more true.
I think those two Sunweb boys were among the highlights, and when you think that they have this years Giro winner in the team as well, what a team!

Re: Re:

24pouces":18oshl26 said:
kingbling":18oshl26 said:
If they've got the legs :LOL: not adversed to Froome winning a 5th tour either but if some one else can step up and win it I'm all for a well fought race.

As usual and since Indurain, the Tour de France was becoming boring with no duel. Froome can win a 5th Tour de France but he will never be a legend like Anquetil, Merckx or Hinault : where is he in the Giro and other big tours or races ?
And UCI would forbidden those earphones for going to a mire intuitive cyclism[/quote]

The days of anyone winning more than one grand tour in a year, clean, are a thing of the past. Froome will give it another crack this year but I can't see him do it unless there's a weakened field.

So to compare this era with any other is comparing apples with pears.

And the Indurain years weren't exactly riveting as he and Banesto chugged on.

al-onestare":1erv2qwg said:
And the Indurain years weren't exactly riveting as he and Banesto chugged on.
indeed - consolidated his position as best he could, and any mountain deficits were clawed back with a 3 minute win in the 60k+ timetrials

much as I liked Big Mig as a guy, not the best racing

Re:

...I blame also electric shifting. How that slipped under the UCI technophobia is beyond me. Cycling
is supposed to be human powered - IE no battery!

Anyhow, I think Froome and Sky
deserve the praise. To defend the
yellow for almost three weeks takes
some doing.

I was happy to see the TdF move
away from some of the mountain
drag strips and use C roads.

Think it is not a drawn conclusion
that Froome will get a fifth; a
lot can happen till then.

Re:

Seen today, 3 quid in a local charity shop – bargain. Forward by Stretch Armstrong, 5 times winner, no less!

Attachments

• TDF 1903 to 2003 centennial.JPG
    TDF 1903 to 2003 centennial.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 666

al-onestare":2urjg6zn said:
That was how to win le tour using the least amount of energy: focus on the strong points, be tactically astute and have the best team around you. That wasn't just for le Tour, it's for la Vuelta. Let's see if it works in a few months time.

Looking good so far :)

al-onestare":2ww939wy said:
al-onestare":2ww939wy said:
That was how to win le tour using the least amount of energy: focus on the strong points, be tactically astute and have the best team around you. That wasn't just for le Tour, it's for la Vuelta. Let's see if it works in a few months time.

Looking good so far :)

Job done. Huge chapeau to Froome and the Sky team for a tactically perfect campaign. Big Mig and Banesto would be proud!

Back