Monty 425 & also a brief history of Monty MTB´s

maxhc

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
The Monty 425 was my first encounter with a true MTB; that radical frame desing really impacted me in the summer of 1991; a neighbour of my grandad was the lucky owner of that bike … never saw another one since a couple of years … it appeared in a local Facebook group; it was in a LBS for a service … I managed to contact the owner and agreed to sell … more than 30 year later that wonderful Pink & White bike was at home.
Most of the Suntour parts were upgraded (DX, 987´s, XT & M231 wheels … ), hope you like it:

Some ads of the era (yep, very similar to the Haro Extreme):

And now, an interview with the master himself, Pere Pi, founder of MONTY (In Spanish, sorry)

Found this one on the net; credits to Retrotrials:

Another interview to his son, the legendary Ot Pi (in Spanish, sorry again):

Now, the Monty MTB´s …

My 425 was my “first” unicorn, but the one to have then was the Al. 475 (yep, similar to the Nishiki … )

Years later, the 425 lead to more conventional desings …

Even FS models were sold…

They had also a race Team: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads...s-1-retrobike-pic-per-post.85657/post-3408036

Hope you liked this brief lines of MONTY history.

Even Motul Sticker is original 😅

Nice design and nice components and lot of memories .. Solo Bici ... that was my childhood.

The founder of Monty Pere Pi is the father of Ot pi, a great trail biker, even the father won some spanish motrcycle trial championships. Not a bad currirculum.

The double suspension frame has a little bit of RM Element, the design was very advance because interferes little but need some fox propedal and in that era was not available.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Back