Taking decent photos of bikes. Your tips (and results).

Shamus":3sdkgc9e said:
One mine, what I think was good...
valmistiella21000.jpg
Advantages of using manual focus and settings, getting Depth of Field on your Canon EOS 350D is easier and quicker than a point and shoot ;) also nice and sharp in lower lights.

Don't take pictures on mobile phones, invest in a good camera.

Learn some focusing tricks (for point and shoots) e.g. focus on something else then move around to get the shot how you like with your focus still in the locked position.
If you have a zoom use it's full range and move yourself back and forwards to get Depth of Field for the same size picture.

Get down to bike height or different to normal, we see 'our height' everyday so tends not to look spectacular.

and I have no idea about taking bike shots as I've not really made any yet.

For me it's about light and composition. Whether in a studio or on the trail, light is so key. Composition crucial.

And composition is so subjective (pardon the pun). Eye of the beyholder etc.

Good kit helps, but it's not the be all and end all by any means.

Have used a black felt roll, gaffa tape and a £25 flashgun to do a job that turned out better than the full studio flash set up, hired infinity curve and even an assistant that the other guy was using. :-0 *

I do like studio shots like the Orange Mercx. Think it's light a little flat, but certainly sharp and well exposed. Nice white backdrop always looks clean and slick. (if it's clean that its...;-) )

Nice backdrops - essential.

A good balance of technical proficience and creative flair I say. (and an element of luck of course).

*probably a fluke though. :LOL:

legrandefromage":1r2yj27c said:
This beach one took ages to set-up, wanted to do it without the rucksack but the wind wasnt quite strong enough to hold the bike up:

A bit of photoshop magic helps.

abcd0001_159b.jpg

Photoshop...

You forgot to add the knobbles back on the tyre... ;-)

But the main problem is you should have reduced the dimensions, not least to make it a usable size to actually see on a typical 1024x768 forum screen (~800 width works well), but to improve the apparent detail of the picture.
It's just a blurred mess where you can see the lack of detail.

quick two second, de-noise, resize and slight sharpen
(unfortunately nothing really helps a poor detailed picture and I'm not putting any effort into this and I'm not a pro-digital photo editor, lol)

Attachments

• abcd0001_159b.jpg
    abcd0001_159b.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 644
Back