Taking decent photos of bikes. Your tips (and results).

Unless its a Readers Bikes shot, then I try and make the photo interesting.

So, I always look for nice scenery, a pleasant view, or something a bit 'random'.

4 of my fave are here:

Attachments

• DSCN2217.JPG
    DSCN2217.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,022
  • DSCN2229.JPG
    DSCN2229.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,022
  • DSCN2074.JPG
    DSCN2074.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,022
  • DSCN2230.JPG
    DSCN2230.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,022
Some nice snaps here, some are pretty mediocre to be honest. Can normally manage similar myself.

More after getting almost 'catalogue' quality snaps. Nice background, well lit and pin sharp.

Kind of like this one from the raydobbins site (will remove this if the site owner likes)

update4.jpg

Yup..I find it hard to take photos of bikes.
A very good camera helps....is it Defiant who always produces stunning photos......and Ameybrook.
I like the 2nd link you posted....more home grown than pro with great results.

Harryburgundy":20wz9q17 said:
A very good camera helps....is it Defiant who always produces stunning photos......and Ameybrook.

I'm not sure a good camera is key. Both links I posted were using quite average stuff IIRC. It's all about setup, lighting and setting.

AB has done some nice stuff in the past. Shame he's not around much anymore, sure he could've given some pointers.

PLEASE don't photograph you hugely expensive steed in front of your house to show the burglars where you live or in front of your garage with the sh1tty padlock.

A good camera makes it easier but you still need to know what you're doing with it. A camera won't make up for poor composition, light, etc. I know, i use my SLR as a point and shoot....

Same bike, same camera...completely different. Bike now belongs to Jamie

3228308263_7601a10676_b.jpg

3701720283_6cbd840076_b.jpg

I do like to play with photoshop and crop them to get the shot i want, balance colour/white balance, but it can't make up for a poor shot.

The composition is something i hope to learn. My girlfriend has this nailed, her and her brother both learnt from their dad. I'm now learning from them all :LOL:

John":11tklhqd said:
Harryburgundy":11tklhqd said:

I'm not sure a good camera is key. Both links I posted were using quite average stuff IIRC. It's all about setup, lighting and setting.

AB has done some nice stuff in the past. Shame he's not around much anymore, sure he could've given some pointers.

Ah...I'll clarify. I use a £99 point and shoot...but I agree, if you havn't got the lighting and compostion right...no amount of money on the camera will help.

Back