Sugino cranks - tell me about them

jonthefish

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm in the process of buying a 1993 Kona Cinder Cone frame. Hopefully.
The catalogue says they came with a Sugino XD500 crankset. I see lots of Sugino Impel advertised. A few XDs (500 and 600) and something called a Fuse 500. How do these all compare and is there any kind of Sugino crank hierarchy?

I have had several sets of Fuse 500. They're pretty good, nice heel clearance and look good with the hidden bolt. Impel I think are the same, but with compact BCD (the Fuse have standard 110/74 BCD)
I'm not sure, but I think the XD are the more modern version?

I have a set of Mighty 900 x - Not sure what the 'x' signifies, but they are nice quality.

Not sure where the Mighty fits with the Fuse and the Impel, but I believe some Explosifs came with a 900

Apparently the '93 Explosif came with Sugino Mighty, which the 1993 catalogue says is cold foged c.w. the XD500 'gravity cast' that was on the Cinder Cone and Kilauea.
Looking at various Cinder Cones of that era on here it seems folk often replace cranks with XT and such. Any reason why? The catalogue claims the Sugino XD500 was lighter than Shimano XTR. Why replace with Shimano? Were the Suginos weak? Or are they just less easy to find?

suginos back in the day were okay, i've seen a few sets where the chainring spider were out of wack from new. so when viewed from above, if you spin the cranks quickly the chainrings moved laterally, which obviously affected shifting

Back